installed linux ppc mint on ibook g4 but i want to go back to osx 10.5.8

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Smarti2020, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Smarti2020 macrumors newbie

Smarti2020

im new to this but i would really apreciate any advice thanks i dont have installation disc but i was wondering if i can make a bootable usb with an iso file.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If an iso exists, then, yes, you should be able to make a bootable usb from that.
    The problem is that you will quickly find out that PPC Macs, including your iBook G4 won't boot to USB, unless you want to dig around in the NVRAM.
    I suspect that you used a CD to install Mint. That would be one good choice for your iBook. The best option for booting is firewire.

Where were you planning on finding that installer iso?
    Leopard installer DVDs have been quite high priced for several years, but I have seen recently those Leopard installer DVDs going for $30 or less - Ebay, or Amazon. You just have to hunt for the good prices.
    Getting an actual installer DVD would help avoid the anxiety of finding a working image through torrents.

3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Booting USB is really easy! I have done it twice in the past 2 days on my DLSD PowerBook G4

1. Enter Open Firmware (CMD+OPTION+O+F)
    2. Type "boot ud:,\\:tbxi" (No quotes) and hit enter
    3. You should get the Apple logo with the spinning wheel if you a. Restored the image properly or b. if you typed the OF command correctly.

To restore, obtain a OS X Leopard image, the Macintosh Garden is a good place to start, they have loads of PPC software. Once you have your image, follow the instructions below. (You may need another Mac, as Linux may not work the same)

1. Get a USB that is 8GB or greater in size.
    2. Open Disk utility
    3. Click on your USB in the side bar and navigate to the partition tab, choose 1 partition, click on options and make sure "Apple Partition Map" is used. Then Apply
    4. Click on the restore tab, choose the image as the source, your USB partition as the destination and youre done!

4. Smarti2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Smarti2020

Thanks for the info I just did it and it worked perfectly

5. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

I'll have to try this. Thanks for posting the procedure!

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

No problem! Glad I could help