installed Mac OSX on MBR! is it bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aleni, Apr 26, 2009.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

i just realized when i installed this SSD, its partition is MBR, and now when i try to install football manager 2009, it stucks. is it something to do with my SSD being formatted as a MBR partition?

here's the quick story:

i bought a corsair SSD and formatted it as Mac OS X extended (journaled). but i didn't realize the partition is being MBR instead of GUID.

use carbon copy cleaner to clone from my current drive to the SSD, and then after finished, i replaced the current drive with my new SSD. the Mac booted slow, but after it's loaded, the machine is blazingly fast! much faster!.. i repaired permission and reset PRAM, now the Mac boots fast..

everything seems to be fine, but when i install Football Manager 2009, it stucks and not installing. the installation progress stays where it is. is it something to do with my partition being MBR?

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X officially requires a GPT-style partition table to boot (GUID Partition Table). I'm surprised you even got it to work with MBR.

3. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

i cloned the SSD to another drive, and then formatted the SSD as a GUID partition, now my SSD appeared on the "Startup Disk" under System Preferences. nice..

thanks!