Installed Momentus XT in my 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 26, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

Arrived from Newegg this afternoon.

Removing the screws on the bottom plate of the 13" was really hard imo. I had to use plyers to have enough grip on the screwdriver to remove them, and it slipped twice (with hairline scratches) -- probably better anyways. I wear belts and worry about the buckle scratching up the bottom, but this just eliminates my OCD -- and it doesn't look horrendous but my heart stopped when I slipped, hoping I didn't too badly scar the machine ;).

The drive is noticeably faster than my stock Hitachi 250GB 5400rpm drive (which is now in an external enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001). I also notice an increase in the system vibration, but this probably a standard thing anyone would feel going from 5400 rpm to 7200rpm. I have yet to see how it holds up after remembering my favorite apps and battery life but will report once I have a better grasp.

If you have any questions, ask away!

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Download and run xbench and post the #'s please.

Congrats ~~~~ and FWIW, my Hit 7200 HD (in optical bay) is dead quiet and has no vibration.

JohnG

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

Keep in mind it's probably not representative of real world tests because the drive is supposed to remember the most used apps, and since this is the first time I've fired up xbench, I doubt it's one of those "remembered apps."

But this drive is quite zippy, and for the twenty minutes I've used it, I'm pleased.

The machine is quite quiet, but I feel more vibration than the 5400rpm drive, which I'm sure is to be expected.

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

That can't be right. Run it a couple more times. I get a 55.67 with a regular Momentus 7200.4

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Things appear to pick up after they're cached.

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

dude, that can't be right. i can walk faster!

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

9. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqWginp1qo

Give it a minute or two to process and upload.

11. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

perfect alternative from an ssd. thanks alot for the video too :D

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Ran it one more time and got 35.6 I wouldn't worry about xbenches and other benchmarks, more just how you think you will use it. It seems to perform very well.

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I wonder if there is another 'bench' program available. Those #'s are REALLY quite poor but the boot time would suggest otherwise. Somewhat perplexed......................

Anyways, congrats on being the first one here to try it out.

regards
    JohnG

14. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

lol to the part when u said u feared scratching ur mbp with ur belt buckle. im the same way! btw, since you DID scratch your mbp with the screw driver, you've gone places others wish to never go. so now i have a question for you, how hard did you do it in order to scratch? and since you kno how much force to cause a scratch, how easy do u think it is to cause by accident?

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

just one more reason why geekbench is a joke

16. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Hmm this is very tempting. Thanks for the videos OP, this should help a lot of potential buyers.

17. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

You have to apply a lot of pressure to get the screws off so I think it's fairly easy to slip up and slide the screwdriver. You'll be ok though, trust me I was really really worried and pissed when I scratched, but it's so miniscule you'd have to flip the machine over and stare at those areas, it's not immediately obvious and discerning to the eye (one scratch looks deeper than the other but when I run my finger over the scratched area, I feel no difference).

Don't worry, just do it :)

18. yoyoman22 macrumors newbie

does anyone know if there will be any problems running bootcamp and installing windows 7 on this drive?

19. Hexero macrumors regular

20. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I don't see why there would be problems with this drive on Win 7 using Boot camp. As stated in their marketing campaign, the drive does its efficiencies independent of the OS and I was more worried about OS X working with it, but my doubts have been eliminated.

Also, not very noisy as previously stated. Pretty quiet imo. Coming from 5400, more noticeable though.

21. 0ct0 macrumors newbie

awesome all i needed to know when i purchase my mbp this drive is going in :D maybe even 2 in raid 0 *drool*

22. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Looks like Momentus XT is perfect for G-Drive mini FW800 with few VM images and other stuff like OS's onboard. But I'd stick with 120Gb Vertex as system drive.

23. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Nice. I want this one instead of the Hitachi 7200 500gb :p

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

I don't think it's any better than your typical 7200rpm drives in this situation. It only has 4GB of Flash onboard, so if your VM image is far bigger than 4GB (I don't think it'll see that the vm file as "package" container, but merely a file), it's not going to get cached at all, it'll just load from the spinning drive instead. Therefore it makes no sense to have it as external drives or storage drives. Don't forget that the Flash is only used for reading, not writing. Therefore if you're doing a lot of things in the VM, changing files constantly in the VM, it will not get cached either.

Now bootable OS on it, is a different story. It'll probably be faster than typical 7200rpm drives as long as you use it often.