Installed more RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jwolf6589, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

So my MacBook has 4GB's of RAM. I sure hope this will speed things up a bit. Will this allow me to run Parallels or Fusion with ease? Tried running one of those products with 2GB's of RAM and boy was it a snail! What is the max RAM that can be installed in my mid 2009 model MacBook? I also was having numerous speed issues with Office 2004 apps. Perhaps some of it was due to a lack of RAM and the rest due to poorly coded software loaded with emulation code and running in a non intel environment as Office 2004 is a PPC app.

John

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes the extra RAM will certainly make your VM experience much faster. Be sure to allocate just enough RAM for OS/X and Windows to operate as efficiently as possible. You may have to play with it a little to get it just right.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's doesn't really "speed things up," just allows you to run more things at once. i guess that can be viewed as "sped up" because less ram may render things slow or unusable as you reach the cap of your system, but yeah. just saying.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

In OS 9 one could allocate RAM to apps, use a RAM disk, etc.. In OS X one cannot do this out of the box. Windows XP is registering 2.72 GB's of RAM (not 4 GB's for some reason) and its super fast and never gets slow. So I am fine there.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Windows XP is unable to address any more than 3.25GB altogether. You're not seeing all 3.25 because of other system needs, but if you ran XP natively, it should see more, up to 3.25.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Its okay. 2.72GB is far enough for my needs. When I get the money I could install parallels, but in the meantime bootcamp is all I can afford.