Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
No, its the Janus-Design bezel. Much, much better than the mybimmer version which has no groove and no mounting kit (and it cost less).

And yes, they do make slim depth double DIN units. They have the GPS module separate and you put it in the glove box, under a seat etc and run wires to the head unit.

Autotragic but it does haul ass.

Do you have a link? I already have nav in my car - I assume going this route I wouldn't need to cut any of the duct work?

jaglad

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Royston, UK
Unfortunately you will, the BMW nav unit is like a single din size from behind but with the bigger screen, so to fit a double din unit you will still need to cut away at the pipe work to get it to fit.

I cant find any pics at the moment to show what I mean, but if you do a search around am sure you will see what I mean.

jaglad

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Royston, UK
To be honest, if you want to fit a double din unit you will have to do some cutting, all double din units are more or less the same on the back, only BMW for obvious reason make a large screen unit that will fit in the hole.

Alpine do a vehicle hub system which just has a monitor up front that you could fit, all the brains go in the back or somewhere else you can fit them, but from what an acquaintance of mine who had the system was telling me it really isnt worth the hassle, which is annoying as Alpine are one of the best car audio manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.