Installed new hard disk and ram. Now system is freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antmay, Aug 14, 2008.

1. antmay macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Here is the situation.
    I have installed a new 500gb samsung hard drive in my 17" macbook pro 2.4ghz OS X tiger together with the 4 gb memory upgrade.

The installation went well and everything is working ok. Rebooted once and I left the macbook on overnight. This morning when I moved the mouse to "wake up" the system, the blank screen restored to its previous state, BUT everything is freezed. I could only move the mouse and nothing else.

Just one to know if this is a ram or hard drive issue. The fact that I could move the mouse means it is not totally freeze.

I know I can put the old ram back to check but just want to hear from you guys any previous experiences about this incident.

I also did a search on the forum and did what was suggested...ie check cable ribbon under battery....

Lastly, how do you get the so called "panic log" ??

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Put in the old ram and see if it still freezes. ;)

3. markgamber macrumors 6502

$10 sez you bought cheap ram and Apple computers are notorious for NOT liking cheap ram. Personally, I trust two vendors for ram; Apple and Crucial. If you didn't buy it from one of them, I'd bet it's the ram.

The easy solution, as posted above, is to put back the original ram and see if it works. It'll take 30 seconds, do it before you even post anything here. If it works, get an RMA and send the ram back and get real ram from Crucial. Don't bother with the panic logs and stuff, you'll get nothing useful from them. Last time I checked, 4gb was $96 from them, more or less.

4. relsah macrumors newbie

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

5. antmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi markgamber, the maker of the ram is Nanya. I have already contact the store and they are willing to swap for Samsung which is the brand of the original 2 gb.

relsah, what will PRAM reset do ???

Thanks for all input.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

A PRAM reset clears out the memory of the "Programable RAM" which can get corrupted (especially when doing hardware changes). The PRAM is a chip on the system board that reads the hardware configuration and stores it in its internal memory. It reads it once and then stores the information. If you make a change to the hardware the system can get confused and the PRAM information can get corrupted.