Installed new hard drive--don't have software install disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anniemathilda, Mar 12, 2010.

1. anniemathilda macrumors newbie

Hello,

After the hard drive on my early 2007 macbook went on the fritz and failed the other day I ordered a new hard drive and installed it myself following instructions I found online.

I'm now getting the folder with a question mark so I believe the installation went well but I'm without my Leopard installation disk and in need of some help. I only have access to a PC, so I'm pretty sure I can't download a copy of the software, as all the ones I've found are torrents and I can't move those to a hard drive and boot up my macbook from one... or can I? Is there a way around this?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How about you buy Snow Leopard for $29. You won't have iLife though. Or buy the Mac Box set and give yourself OS X 10.6, iLife, and iWork.

4. anniemathilda thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked into that but it seems like I need to have Leopard to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Am I wrong about that?

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

You had it before, you qualify. It does not need to be actively installed.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The retail install disc will allow you to do a clean install. You will boot to the 10.6 disc with the letter C or option held, it'll take you to the installer after you select your language. Because the drive is newly installed, to avoid any potential issues, I would recommend using Disk Utility (accessed from the Utilities menu in the top left) to create a GUID Partition Map, Mac OS Extended Partition, and followed by going through with the Mac OS installation. Post back if you need help getting that set up.