Installed New Hard Drive... Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kutikayla, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kutikayla macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I just installed my new hard drive into my Unibody Macbook Pro Mid 2010 model. I did everything correct and have my Snow Leopard USB drive plugged in. I did the hold option on boot and double clicked on the Snow Leopard drive but now it's been stuck on a no pass screen? (see image)

I'm assuming I need to somehow format this hard drive first but how am I supposed to do that if it won't let me in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. kutikayla thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't have the original discs.
    It shouldn't be this hard though? Most the videos i'm seeing once I click on the Snow Leopard drive it should bring me to disk utility? And it's not..

----------

And with the link you sent me to .. I can't even get into my computer so I can't get to disk utility to format it. So there has to be a different way?

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is the drive in the external (with Snow Leopard) the original drive from your MBP? It's possible that the USB enclosure isn't bootable, some aren't.

5. kutikayla thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I never had an actual disc of snow leopard.. I honestly always used someone else's USB. I tested the one I made today and it booted up on my old hard drive. The computer itself sees it but once I hit enter to go into it so that I can get to utilities it just goes to that screen. It's pretty bothersome since I feel I did everything right as far as instructions go :-/

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What if you try just letting it boot, without holding down the Option key, etc. I believe it will search for a bootable drive and when it finds the internal isn't bootable will look for another, eventually finding the USB drive and using it to boot.