Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Hi all,

I've recently installed a new HDD (Momentus XT 500Gb) in my 2008 MBP.

I have the old HDD in an external enclosure, and backed up with Time Machine beforehand.

How do I transfer all my stuff so that everything is exactly the same as before? (i.e. files in the same place, documents and settings as on the 'old' HDD) etc.

I migrated using Time Machine and the Migration Assistant in Utilities, but this did not have the desired effect.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Do you have an install/restore dvd or Retail copy of snow leopard? you can always boot from that and do a restore from time machine back-up that will put everything in place as you left it.

Or with the old drive, you can do a SuperDuper clone from that drive (boot to that first) or with Disk Utility's Restore option; you click and drag the old drive into the Source field and the new drive as the destination field.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Do you have an install/restore dvd or Retail copy of snow leopard? you can always boot from that and do a restore from time machine back-up that will put everything in place as you left it.

Or with the old drive, you can do a SuperDuper clone from that drive (boot to that first) or with Disk Utility's Restore option; you click and drag the old drive into the Source field and the new drive as the destination field.

I left my DVD's in London :(

So, as I don't have SuperDuper, would I just open Disk Utility, click on restore for the MBP HDD, and click Source field as the old HDD connected by USB, and the internal HDD as the destination?

On my old comp, I had bootcamp as well. Will this copy this over too? When I plug in the external USB, two mountable drives pop up; one the Mac one, and the other the Bootcamp one.

Any dangers of doing this/any simpler method?

Thanks.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Okay so I tried doing the above, using the Source as the external HDD with my old HDD. However, I can't select destination as the new internal HDD.

What am I doing wrong?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Okay so I tried doing the above, using the Source as the external HDD with my old HDD. However, I can't select destination as the new internal HDD.

What am I doing wrong?

are you booting from the Original HDD?

if that doesnt work install SuperDuper on the old HDD and clone from the old hdd to the new hdd.

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
are you booting from the Original HDD?

if that doesnt work install SuperDuper on the old HDD and clone from the old hdd to the new hdd.

When I did this, I had to do it in the following order:

1. Installed new HDD
2. Install Snow Leopard on new HDD
3. Download latest OSX updates
4. Used Migration Assistant to import everything from Time Machine

All looks the same now, applications, files, destkop, dock icons etc, all as they were on the old drive.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
if that process worked then thats fine. but generally if you have a time machine back-up you just insert the Snow Leopard DVD and restore from a time machine back-up and can choose the exact one you want with the already applied updates.
When you have the OS DVD in and you go through the language selection at the top it says Utilities, and under Utilities is Restore From Time Machine Backup and youre back to where you left off.

or with a totally blank new drive the SuperDuper or Disk Utility methods are best, no reason to need to install the whole OS again and then apply updates and then use migration assistant. just for future reference.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks guys the Mac part is fixed.

Using the Disk Utility, can I copy my Bootcamp drive over and it'd work the same?

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
As far as I know, it wont.
there used to be a utility called WinClone, not sure if its around or supports the latest Windows but its worth a try.

Bugger. I left my Windows CDs back in London, would this WinClone work for Windows XP? If not, any other programme? And if not that, any way I can copy data and stuff over?

Thanks all for all your help so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.