installed new inverter, wont turn on.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kie3ahn, May 29, 2010.

1. kie3ahn macrumors newbie

Hello, i just installed my new inverter and put evertyhing back into place. tried turning it on and no reaction. There is no sign of turning on, no sounds or light to show. I thought i may have damaged the keyboard ribbon but there is no physical harm that i could see. if you have any suggestions id greatly appreciate it. thanks

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you suspect that the power button or keyboard is bad, you can short the connectors at the very end of the keyboard connector (try the right side, then if no response try the left side).

As a repair shop, we see a wide range of issues: including where customers have tried to "do it yourself."

Unfortunately, components in the computer, especially the main logic board, are very sensitive to electrostatic discharge (ESD)—a force that damages bare electronic components unless you have tools to prevent it. A large portion (40% or more) of computers we see that have had a "do it yourself" attempt are damaged beyond the original issue, which usually means ESD.

If you double-check the MagSafe (power inlet) connector and the fan connector, then short out the keyboard connector, the fan should start spinning. It is urgent that you remove power ASAP after attempting this, as the processor will be permanently damaged if the heatsink is not installed. These are the only components a MacBook needs to show a sign of life.

If the fan does not spin after attempting this, your Mac needs a logic board repair. Hiring a professional firm to repair your logic board and bring it back to factory specification is a whole lot cheaper than buying a used logic board on eBay and attempting a self-installation.

I do really hope that your MacBook has an easy fix. If it shows a sign of life after following the above steps, we can track the problem down and fix it—probably through this forum. If it won't work, let us know.

Best wishes!

3. kie3ahn thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by shorting out the keyboard connector?

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you call (202) 556-1MAC and ask for Oliver, I'd be happy to walk you through the process.

Explaining it in the forum would require a diagram, which unfortunately, we don't have handy.

However, if you're simply unable to make a phone call, reply back to the forum and we may be able to make a diagram and email it to you.

Best wishes!