installed new keyboard in MBP, now won't start!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Biscotti, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Biscotti macrumors regular

Backstory: I was taking notes in class when I accidentally spilled coffee on my keyboard. What I did:

1) Turn comp off
    2) Turn upside down
    3) take out battery
    4) leave off for 48 hrs

Turned it back on and computer and everything worked except the keyboard and a few keys: O,Y,L, Delete, etc...

I was using it with an external keyboard until today, when I received a replacement keyboard from eBay (China). I took it apart with the iFixit guide, but when I put it back together the computer wont start... nothing... no chime, no sign that it even works... the battery is charged... everything was working yesterday.

Please help! any suggestions on how to fix (besides not having coffee by my computer in the future) I have exams next week. I've been on these forums often and know someone has had the same problem.

Also, I still have apple care, even tho its noticeable that I opened the top case, should I still attempt to send it in??? No coffee signs are detectable, as I replaced the damaged keyboard. Thanks all

MBP 2.16 C2D 3GB RAM

2. majidf macrumors member

There are several possibilities to why it does not work...these are a few quite possible:

1) You connected the keyboard wrongly, been to careful and not connected the cables/whatever they are called correctly.

2) You forgot to connect something else correctly

Solution for those above are to recheck and reconnect everything again.

3) You got a DOA keyboard

Verify the keyboard is working.

4) You might have broken something.

Before assuming this, you might want to get help of a certified technician reinstalling the keyboard. Might cost somewhat if you broke something inside the MBP because it would invalidate the warranty.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I wouldn't go committing "fraud". You damaged the computer so why should Apple pay for your mistake? Yeah it was an accident but Apple doesn't warranty against accidental damages. Your best bet is to take it apart again and see if something isn't hooked up correctly or not at all. Apple technicians will see that it has been taken apart and will void the warranty.

4. majidf macrumors member

Dont know if I would consider it fraud. He replaced the keyboard, nothing else was damaged. If the technician finds the computer to be broken by the user (water damage, by opening it up) he will have to shelf out money to repair it else what difference does the history of the computer make? As far as I understand it, he did not break the warranty by just opening the computer up and replace a part unless he actually damaged the computer during the process or it does not function because of water damage.