Installed new layout layout keyboard - how to change fn keys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dabbler, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dabbler macrumors member

Hi,

Hope someone can help me. My macbook pro keyboard died, the only replacement i could find was the newer keyboard layout (where the Fn keys have different functions - such as volume has been moved etc)

After a bit of filing etc to get it to fit, its all back together and looking/working fine, but I need to change the keyboard layout so the pictures on the keys do what they are supposed to (hope that makes sense?) i.e. on the old one volume up was F5, but on the new one volume up is F12.

Does any one know how I do this? Im running snow leopard.

Many thanks in advance!

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There should be a way to do it through System Preferences, Keyboard and then start digging to change defaults.

3. dabbler thread starter macrumors member

Is there no way to tell OSX what keyboard layout it has? If i was to install OSX onto a newer macbook pro with the new layout - it would work correctly, how does OSX know what keyboard layout to use?

4. physicsdude1 macrumors member

I've done a lot of digging and can't find a way to do this through the system preferences.

I'm in the same boat. I want to move the volume keys (which I use all the time) over to f1, f2, and f3. This way I can reach them with the function key pressed with one hand. I use the standard f1-f12 keys when working, so I need to use the function button to engage the hardware functionality like volume and screen brightness.

Does no one have a solution? I don't care if I have to go digging into a plist somewhere, there must be a way to change those hardware definitions.

5. machine156 macrumors newbie

6. machine156 macrumors newbie

Hardware Keys are scrambled

I've Ran into this situation 4 different ways now, and I can not find a simple fix anywhere, without installing a 3rd party utility to fix Apple's Stupidity...

The 'Hardware Keys' are scrambled when 1) You replace the keyboard on the Aluminum MacBook Pro to the newer one with the Volume on F11 and F12, instead of F3 and F4.

2) Migrate Data from one computer WITHOUT Volume on F11 and F12 to one with the Volume on F11 and F12.

3) Change from a plastic Apple USB keyboard to the Aluminum Apple USB keyboard.

4) Plug Aluminum Apple USB keyboard into any Mac that did not originally have a Keyboard with the Volume keys on F11 and F12 attached to the computer when the OS was installed.

:mad:@:apple: