Installed new memory but doesnt show up on my Windows side

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Djwendro, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Djwendro macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2007
    I just recently purchased 2 more gb of memory for my mac pro and for some reason it is not showing up in Windows. I am using boot camp right now and I was just wondering if there was some way to update windows for the new memory I added. Thanks in advance!

2. Tracer macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2007
    Boot-Camp only allows 2GB of RAM in Windows.

Don't know why, that's just how it is.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    "Boot Camp" is only a method of partitioning a hard drive in FAT-32 format.

It has nothing to do with how Windows shows memory.It does include drivers and thats about it.
  4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2006
    Unfortunatly because of the way memory managment works in Windows (i.e. on a modern machine it's pants - mince - rubbish - you get the idea), you only get a 2GB address space as standard...

See... ... Only works with XP Pro though :(

Windows XP SP2 can run in Physical Address Extension Mode which is the new way to deal with this...;en-us;888137

But it only works if supported by the hardware - which may not be the case with a Mac Pro.
  5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Windows x64 allows it to access more RAM, same with vista. But standard XP pro is special....
  6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

Jun 16, 2007
    Not really, if you had a self built system, XP Pro shows 3GB. I have 9GB and this is a limitation of the Apple bios emulator. I only see 1.99GB
  7. virtualcharley macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2007
    Looks like this forum is dead in the water. However, this seems like a fairly big issue to me to spend all the money a Mac costs only to find out that the Windows side is not equal in terms of memory??

I wonder if anyone has spoken to Mac about this. I have searched all over the web to find the answer to this particular problem and only now found it so I am guessing not a lot of people are worrying that After Effects, in the Windows side, has to settle for 1.99 Gig of RAM?
  8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Its not apples fault or problem. If you install 6gb of RAM into a PC then install XP or vista 32 bit edition it will see the same amount of RAM. (on the condition you have the same graphics card.
    and talk about it. Remember its ALL types of RAM in the system, video card, RAM, caches etc.