Installed new RAM, MacBook Pro now crashing constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodgeenie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ipodgeenie macrumors newbie

I decided to upgrade my 2010 MacBook Pro to 8GB from 4GB because I was getting a lot of page outs. I bought the memory from Crucial and used their scanner to determine which modules would definitely work with my system.

I installed the memory and ever since that I have been experiencing crashing issues where applications lock up one by one and I am unable to quit them or force quit them, until I am forced to do a hard shut down because my entire system is locked up.

I decided to check the memory modules were properly fitted, and I noticed that the top slot wouldn't let my module fit properly. The right hand side was out by about 1mm than the left. I tried pushing in the modules and it just wouldn't work, so the top ram module is properly fitted by about 95% and I think that's one possible reason my computer is crashing. However, I put in the memory that came with my computer and I noticed that didn't fit properly either, even though I didn't experience any issues with the stock RAM.

I don't know whether the modules are faulty, or if the slot is the problem. Therefore I don't know whether to phone Apple or get the RAM exchanged from Crucial. I also ran the Apple Hardware Test and it didn't find any issues.

Would appreciate any help, thank you! :)

2. smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

if its any consolation mine looked the same when installed new RAM i.e. slightly slanted, I also put the old one back in and it looked the same so reverted back to the crucial RAM - touch wood mine has been fine for over a week now with no crashes etc.

the only thing I can recommend is checking the speed of the RAM that has been shipped it should be the 1067Mhz version for your MBP, here is the part number

4GB 204-PIN SODIMM 512Mx64 DDR3 PC3-8500 CL7
    CT51264BC1067

3. ipodgeenie, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

ipodgeenie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey smj966c, thanks for replying!

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=A9D8C4E7A5CA7304

That is the memory I purchased. It also says "Guaranteed-compatible with the Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 (15-inch DDR3) MC371LL/A" which is the model I have.

I'm glad yours was also slanted, makes me feel a whole lot better. I just didn't know if something was stuck inside the slot or not. Do you think I should return the RAM and get it replaced?

EDIT: I contacted Crucial and they are going to replace the modules for me. If the crashes continue after the modules being replaced then I will contact Apple. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

Hi I'd put the old RAM back in and make sure your machine runs OK - if it does it sounds like you have some faulty RAM..ah just saw your edit good luck hope you get sorted soon!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

When I upgraded my iMac, I received faulty RAM. After I installed it, the Mac just beeped and wouldn't start, so I tried re-seating, but no luck. Then I replaced the original RAM and it was fine. Then I sent the new RAM back and they replaced it and the replacement RAM didn't work either. Finally I went with a different company, got new RAM, and it has worked fine since.

I would go back to the original RAM, and if that works sent the new RAM back for replacement.