installed new ram, pro is non responsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moxwell, Jan 13, 2011.

1. moxwell macrumors newbie

I bought a new macbook pro 13" a month ago, I went down to Compusa and bought some centon memory power pc3-8500 ddr3 1066 two sticks of 4gb.
    Installed them and my pro went dead, it did not boot up, just a blank screen. I tried it in my mac mini as well seeing as they use the same ram. No dice, dead as well. I searched online and I read that apple products are a bit picky about what you put in them. I just want to ask the forum members here if this has been their experience as well. I'm going to go down to the store and return the ram and i'm wanting to know if I should change it out for something different and if so what brand do you all recommend. I went ahead and installed the original ram and pro kicks on like all is well.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd get the RAM from macsales.com as I've never had any trouble from the RAM that I've ordered from them in the past.

3. CC424 macrumors regular

I'm using 2 X 4gb Kingston without any problems

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You can never go wrong with Crucial RAM. They are great!

5. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Try swapping it out for a gskill apple edition rams.

6. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Do this and watch your kernel panic counts go through the roof.

7. moxwell thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm going to end up buying crucial memory online, going to return the ram I bought at compusa in the morning. Is ram for apple different than that for pc? I also have an acer and a macbook that take the same ram, on a whim I switched them around. Macbook does not turn on, stays on a black screen, the acer started right up and shows the total memory I put in. From my basic experiment it appears to be so. When I bought the memory today, I specifically stated and asked that it work for my macbook pro, as I have seen some ram being sold as mac specific and that there may be a difference, guy behind the counter said I was good to go with what he gave me, obviously I wasn't. Thanks for the help. I appreciate everyones input. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor one day.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

From what I've seen on other posts, only if you get bad sticks. There are plenty of reports of G.skill working fine.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Shouldn't be if the various specs match what Apple needs.

I've been using this Crucial RAM for a few weeks with not one single issue: http://www.jr.com/crucial/pe/CRT_8G51264BCK

10. P Mentior macrumors regular

I have been using g.skill ram in my MBP for 2 years now and I have never had a kernel panic.

11. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

Is there any major difference between Crucial, Kingston, OCZ? There is any better? Or one that we shouldn't consider? I'm planning to get OCZ, should i sty with it or change?

12. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

That's fine, but unfortunately there are a LOT more reports of G.Skills causing kernel panics than any other RAM. You get what you pay for, is all I'm saying. Are they ALL bad? No. But unfortunately one should not have to roll dice when they're paying $150-$200 for something.

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I just bought 2 sticks of Lexar ram to bring my total to 8GB. They have run flawlessly for the past week now. I have done a few memory tests and everything seems to be running great. You may have just gotten bad sticks.

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Just happened to do a search on Newegg and

All 1x 4GB sticks of DDR3 1066 PC3 8500

GSkill = $41.99 (4 out of 5 eggs rating) 53 reviewers
    Corsair = $44.99 (4 out of 5 eggs rating) 9 reviewers
    Kingston = $48.99 (5 out of 5 eggs rating) 2 reviewers
    Crucial = $49.99 (5 out of 5 eggs rating) 6 reviewers
    Mushkin = $49.99 (4 out of 5 eggs rating) 23 reviewers

While Crucial has a perfect 5 out of 5 eggs, Gskill has a lot more reviewers. A lot of choices.
    Here's the link to check and see which one might be best for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07609 600000445 600000399&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB

15. stevegut78 macrumors member

16. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Unfortunately, the review you cite is not the proper RAM for the MacBook, evident by the negative reviews on that one. Also, if you read through the positives, it appears to me like most of them are Windows notebook users, where the board isn't nearly as sensitive to the RAM as the Apple boards. The positive ones from MacBook owners are likely those who don't realize that the kernel panics are happening due to the RAM, but I assure you that it's a widespread issue. If I had to guess, I would say the CAS latency is off, but that's a theory. I didn't keep them in long enough to know for certain.

In fact, G.Skill themselves cite FA-8500CL7S-4GBSQ as the correct "Apple tested" RAM. It, of course, has no reviews to know whether it's true or not and Amazon doesn't even list it. That's shady business IMO.