Installed new SSD in 27in 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thaniel98, May 3, 2011.

1. thaniel98 macrumors newbie

Right after purchasing my new iMac today I installed a vertex 2 SSD in place of the hard drive. I thought some of you might be interested in some of the changes I noticed inside as opposed to my old 2.66 i5 iMac.

First thing you will notice is they put stickers that tear away at the top of the display if you take the display out. They can be pulled off very slowly and put back in original condition. Look out before you go ripping out the display. Also there is no longer a temp probe connecting to the old HD. Finally, and all the people who have worked on the iMacs in the past can be happy about, they redesigned the vertical sync cable. It is now a plastic connector instead of that horrible ribbon that was a PITA to reconnect.

Now I am just waiting on my 16GB of RAM to be delivered and then let the benchmarking begin.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Can you confirm what it says about SATA in the system profiler please?

3. nafai23 macrumors regular

In place of the hard drive??

I think most of us are curious about the secondary SSD slot.

Does it have one?
    Is the cabling there or do you need a kit?

etc
    etc.

I assume there was an issue if you just replaced the HDD with the SSD instead of having both.

Thanks for any help
    Chad

4. ndraves macrumors member

There is a lot of discussion on whether it's SATA II or III. It would be nice to know.

Also any chance of a Geekbench before the new RAM arrives, pretty please!

5. thaniel98 thread starter macrumors newbie

The vertex 2 is only sata2. System profiler says Intel 6 Series Chipset if that helps.

I have been using SSDs instead of Hard Drives for years, never had any issues only having a SSD installed. Various manufacturers over the years have had issues with specific drives, but apple also sells the iMac with only the SSD so there should be no issue with having a SSD only.

6. nafai23, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

nafai23 macrumors regular

Could you at least tell us what you saw with regards to the secondary SSD hook up?
    You are one of the first to pop the thing open.

Oh well, just wait for the next guy.....

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I realise that your drive is a SATA II, but what does it say about SATA in the system profiler? There will be stuff like negotiated speed in the particular screen that I am asking for.

8. ndraves macrumors member

There should be something like link speed and negotiated link speed in the system profiler. Don't know if that helps

9. thaniel98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not pay attention to if there was a second spot for an additional SSD

Here is a screenshot of system profiler

Attached Files:

10. bugout macrumors 6502a

uh oh, did you put in the DVD slot or in the HD slot?

11. dubAdub macrumors member

If it's the Z68 Intel series 6 chipset it should have SATA 3.

12. archangel37 macrumors member

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

14. ndraves macrumors member

15. nafai23 macrumors regular

128gb only? really??

Isn't it even tempting to pop the ssd in the secondary and have 1gb of internal space?
    Chad

16. thaniel98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want the SSD for my boot and applications. I keep all my data on RAID 10 arrays. What I am really waiting for is for OWC to release some thunderbolt cases.

IIRC there is no cage for a second SSD from apple unless you get the BTO option from them

17. spicyweiner macrumors newbie

did you need anything besides the SSD? Any adapters?

I am looking into doing this myself as well.

Looking at newegg for some SSD options, there seem to be a ton of different kinds--which SSDs can I buy and which can't I buy?

Sorry for all the questions :)

18. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

This is what you should buy: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

or: OCZ Vertex 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227611

this will not speed up your web browsing, email or MS word use.

19. spicyweiner macrumors newbie

So the requirement is SATA II I assume? Was just wondering because there are other SSDs out there that have faster read/write speeds than the two you posted.

Yes, aware of the speed increases. I do a ton of Photo and Video editing, so that's where it would come in handy...

20. Waiting4iPad3 macrumors newbie

Latest Firmware Update Supports Sata III?

Serial ATA: Finally, there's an interesting tidbit at MacFixIt, which cites a blog posting by Other World Computing. "The company mentions that the latest firmware update for the new 2011 iMacs has unlocked SATA III capabilities in the systems, allowing for up to 6Gb/sec data throughput on the internal hard drive bays. The past iMac and MacBook Pro models have shipped with SATA II drive controllers that handle up to 3Gb/sec throughput, but the new systems apparently use updated controllers," according to MacFixIt's Topher Kessler.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20060255-64.html#ixzz1LoiwNhi0

I don't know much about this topic, but looking to learn before purchasing new iMac.

21. EEXOOO macrumors regular

It seems like it, take a look at this blog post by OWC.
    http://blog.macsales.com/10050-firmware-update-enables-6gbs-in-2011-imacs

22. maxinc macrumors regular

My Vertex3 SATA3 SSD upgrade to 27" 2011 iMac. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

23. thundermustard macrumors regular

Still looking for an answer to the mechanics of the SSD install. When you get it open how do you install the SSD? Do you need any brackets? Can you leave the original HD in?

24. maxinc macrumors regular

I guess Apple will be using a special adapter / bracket for the SSD and it might become available through part suppliers just as with the 2010 model. I used some sticky velcro to secure the SSD to the aluminium chassis. Not very elegant but just as secure as it is very light, immune to shocks and produces to heat. This is if you want to keep the original HDD (who wouldn't?).

If you'd rather replace the HDD, than it all becomes really simple. Put the SSD into a 3.5HDD cage like this and you're done without fiddling too much.

[​IMG]

25. wirelessness macrumors 6502

If all you are doing is swapping the stock HDD for a 2.5" SSD then all you will need as a 3.5" to 2.5" bay adapter. If you are going to get more ambitious and try adding an SSD to the existing HDD it gets more complicated. This has been discussed in detail for the 2010 iMac and the cabling process is likely the same but the tear down is different as has been mentioned previously.

I used this dual 2.5" adapter to add two SSD drives replacing this stock HDD. Two SSD fit nicely in that spot once you get the HDD out and make sure they are mounted as low as possible.