Installed new superdrive, worked at first, now it won't respond...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theLemur, Jul 6, 2009.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

So my regular cd-rom/burner died immediately after my warranty was up, so I went on ebay about bought this $65 superdrive: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&salenotsupported

I took my macbook apart, managed to crack the keyboard in the process (tack on another $50), and eventually swapped out the drive. Before I reassembled everything I booted it up and the drive took my cd and played it on itunes.

So, I put it all back together, every little friggin screw, except like 4, oops... and now the drive won't respond. I can hear it spinning when it boots, but when I log in there's nothing. There's a cd in it, and I can't eject it. When I hit eject, nothing happens.. not even the little graphic that appears on the screen. I know its still connected because I hear it spin on start up.

What could the problem be? I've wasted my whole night trying to fix this thing. I can't even explain how frustrated I am.

2. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I got it to work again, but when I snap the keyboard back down it has issues and wont read the disc. In fact, I started pressing on the keyboard edges, and a grey error message came up and the computer froze, I had to shutdown and restart.

Could it be shorting something out?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like a short or a bad cable connection.

4. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

The situation has gotten much worse. Now I can't even power on the laptop. I was messing with the keyboard when all of a sudden it stopped working. I'm going to post a differnet thread since now i'm royally screwed sine I cant access all my business info.