Installed new version of Java, but it didn`t update

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Franeo, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Franeo macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    Iv`e just downloaded and installed new version of Java (1.7).
    Tough, through the terminal, i see that the new version isn`t really installed.
    It says,
    Code:
    java version "1.6.0_41"

I did restarted the computer, but still nothing happend.
    What can i do?
    Thanks.:)

2. superriku11 macrumors member

superriku11

Installing Java is a little weird for some reason lately. The Java 7 that you download from Java.com is a web plugin only, and not a full system-wide JRE/JDK.

When you run Java from the terminal it's running your system's JDK, which for most people is the default 1.6 one that Apple installs.

You can download the most recent version of Java from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

If you install the JDK, it will install a system-wide version of Java. I need the development version of Java though so I don't know and can't say for sure if the JRE will install just the browser plugin or if it'll install a system-wide JRE as well.

It'd be intuitive and logical to think the JRE would be regular system Java, but it'd also be logical to think that of the Java.com download.

So if you want to, download the JRE, you probably save a bit of hard drive space. If it doesn't work, then download the JDK. Or just download the JDK to begin with since you know it'll work.