Installed OEM Win 7 in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kdochert, May 26, 2013.

1. kdochert, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

kdochert macrumors member

I have mistakenly installed an OEM version of Win 7 (from an old PC that is no longer used) in bootcamp and the license key doesn't work. It never even asked me for licence key when installing but after spending days installing all my other windows software and setting up the machine I see that the OEM key that it must have got from the installation disks doesn't work and it is in trial mode which will expire soon.

What are my options to avoid having to start from scratch, if I purchase a full license can I simply insert the licence key without having to re-install anything?

I also have a Windows 7 upgrade disc and I have read that can be used to install without entering key and then re-installing ocer it with key? Will this work in my situation?

Help appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OEM is tied to the original PC. You'll need a retail key.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

The key that was installed was integrated with the DVD media, and is a key that will not activate in any circumstance with Microsoft. The only thing that will satisfy its requirements is for the hardware to match what it is looking for.

You don't have to do a new install - the media is the same for all Windows 7 installations. If you can obtain a retail key or OEM key, put that in and it will activate (assuming the activations have not been exhausted for that key).

4. kdochert thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, good to hear I don't need to re-install, I'll stick the upgrade disc in and see what happens on the minimal off chance it may work. However after the 120 bucks I already coughed up for the upgrade version of Win 7 a few years back don't think I can stomach coughing up another 200 bucks for an operating system I'm trying to get away from........(just converted to Mac) so I will probably end up removing windows from the mac!