Installed Old XP to MAC OS X Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RupertNos, Jul 24, 2008.

1. RupertNos macrumors newbie

Ok my problem is that i installed windows xp from like 4 yrs ago to my new MBP and i think i formated my old Mac os x partition. Now its NTFS and its only a read only. I went to the Genius Bar in an Apple store and they said they cant fix it cuz its locked and they cant reformat it. They tried to use another mac to open it, ddint work. And they tried disk utility, didint work cuz all of the select buttons was grayed out cuz its locked. Some one was telling me about knoppix but im in a complete blank on what linux even is. So is there any possiblility of reformating my HD with out buying a new one cuz its like $320 man and i just got it :(. Any help will be appreciated sorry for double post but i really need help

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Okay, so your macbook pro has it's internal hard disk partitioned with an ntfs partition and an HFS+ partition? Can you go through how you set this up step by step?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tried booting from the windows dvd?

Though I thought somebody offered to help you solve it via a Linux install and going back to Mac OS X.

---

Is the partition section of disk utility also grayed out.

4. RupertNos thread starter macrumors newbie

ok some body did offer but im running out of time and he wasnt on to day. So i tried to ask for other help. What i did was start up boot camp/ made 40 gig windows xp partition / inserted my old xp cd and when it rebooted it was just a white blank screen no HD to select. The genius bar said its NTFS and read only so they cant open it cuz some reason its locked. SO disk utility doesnt work.