Installed OSX on my storage drive but it didnt wipe it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ravich, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

So I did something stoopy. I wanted to install OSX on one of my storage drives in order to have a partition dedicated specifically to boot camp, but I didnt actually partition the drive. I just booted from the install disc and then installed OSX on my storage drive.

For whatever reason, this didnt erase my storage drive. It just tried to install OSX on top of the existing files, which really baffled the apple senior advisor that I talked to. So I just deleted the additional folders that appeared, since I still had access to all of my documents on that drive.

I'm wondering what this means and why this might have been... any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

It mean the Senior Apple Advisor doesn't know the product.

As previous poster stated. Snow Leopard will just install over anything that is already there. You need to specify if you want it to erase the drive first.

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, then I had better check whether the other things she told me are false.

She told me to partition the drive and then install OSX on the partition, then boot from that partition and use boot camp assistant to create a windows partition from there. Does that make sense? I ask because I installed OSX on that partition, booted from it, and boot camp assistant wouldnt let me create a partition because the disk was partitioned by another utility.

I'm on hold right now with tech support but I'm not very hopeful for them knowing what they're talking about. On my last call the first guy I talked to told me I shouldnt create a windows partition on anything other than my boot drive, but the senior advisor I talked to after that said she had no idea why he would have said that unless he thought I was talking about an external drive.