Installed Parallels 5, now where did my bootcamp icon go?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shivetya, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Do I need two installs of Windows?

I thought I had a Bootcamp icon in my system's preferences after installing XP properly, however after spending some time getting P5 to run I suddenly don't have that icon.

Did I lose it with the P5 install?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is the Boot Camp icon missing when natively booted to Windows or under Parallels?

I use VMWare myself, so can't check but Boot Camp and VM are treated as separate hardware configurations so it is possible that the BC icon detects that it is not needed under Parallels and removes itself then.

B

3. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Under Windows, if I boot into it, the icon is in CP. However while under OS X I either can use Parallels or manually boot into Windows (reboot hold Option)

The disk services icon (forget its name) does not list Bootcamp as an option under OS X

4. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Do a repair permissions in disk utility. I had the same problem and that's what solved it.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Parallels unmounts the Boot Camp Partition while it is in use by the VM, so it wouldn't be visible in the Startup Disk PrefPane. Make sure Parallels is not using the partition when you check your Startup Disk.

If Parallels isn't running, it may not have re-mounted the disk when you quit. You can manually remount it using Disk Utility.