Installed program disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LD Curb, Oct 25, 2015.

1. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

I am new to Mac... just got a MacBook Pro a couple weeks' ago. I downloaded Photoshop Elements 14 and used the program a couple times. Today when i went to use it again, I noticed it was no longer on the dock. I did a search and found the program but it appears to be just folders and not the actual program that runs. When I double click the icon that I moved today to the dock, I get 4 folders as follows: Deploy, Install, Packages and Payload. The program is installed ... I used it .. but cannot seem to find it now!

Thanks so much for any help on this. It probably seems silly to you guys who have used Macs a long time!!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Photoshop Elements installs itself to your Applications Folder. That's where the program should be located unless it has been moved somewhere else. The icon on the dock is an "alias" (known as a shortcut in Windows speak). The Applications folder icon should be on the right side of the dock. Do you see the program listed in the Applications folder? Because it appears you're clicking on the installer for the program and not the program itself.

3. LD Curb thread starter macrumors regular

LD Curb

Thanks so much! Ok... I have a really dumb question.... How do I identify the Applications folder?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your Applications folder is on your hard drive.
    You don't have to "identify" the Applications folder. It already has that name :D
    It is located at the root level of your hard drive (along with other folders, such as System, Library, and Users. Those four folders are the minimum that you will see at the root level of an OS X system hard drive. There may be others, but those four will always be there on the hard drive.

Easiest way to open that folder is to, from the Finder, press Shift-Command-A
    Or, you can go to the Go menu, and click on Applications.
    Or, if your hard drive has an icon on the desktop, you can double click on that icon, then double-click on Applications.
    Or, you can right-click on a Dock icon for an app that you can be sure is in the Applications folder (apps that you add don't have to be in the Applications folder), then in the menu that appears, click on Options, then Show in Finder.
    Or, open any finder window, click on the Mac smiley face in the Dock, which will open a finder window. You probably will see a sidebar in any finder window, and that will have Applications as one of the Favorites (unless you have removed it from the side bar) You can make sure that is in your sidebar, by going to Finder menu, then Preferences, then the Sidebar tab, and make sure that Applications is checked.
    Plus a few others that I haven't remembered yet.

5. LD Curb thread starter macrumors regular

LD Curb

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to help out a Mac newbie!! It is very much appreciated!!!'