Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seemars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Today is my first day using a MAC ever. When I download programs like firefox, It installs, and then appears on my app bar , but then when i restart the computer, it is gone from the bar. The image download is still on my computer, but i dont think the program is still installed. What have i got wrong here.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
When you download Firefox, you're actually downloading a disk image (dmg file). When you double click the disk image, it mounts the disk, as if there were a "real" drive attached to your computer. In the attached disk, you will see the Firefox icon. To "install" it, simply drag it to your desktop or appropriate folder. Copied.

Or, if you also see an Applications folder in the drive next to the Firefox icon, you can also drag the FF icon onto that Applications folder. It is actually an alias (shortcut) of your actual Applications folder on your hard drive. After you make the copy, you can unmount/eject the disk image and throw out dmg file.

Now you REALLY have Firefox.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

From your applications folder you can then drag apps to the dock or when they're open, right click/control-click the icon and choose the option to keep it in your dock (for easier access).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.