Installed public Beta; Cannot Boot to other Partition. Please Help!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Visionblue, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

I installed the Public Beta of 10.10 this morning on a new partition on my SSD. After setting it up I wanted to return to my main system only to find it was no longer available after booting with the option key.

I had read Yosemite would mess with partitions but my only options are to boot to my Yosemite partition or a recovery partition. Not my SSD or HDD.

I didn't backup. Such a stupid rookie mistake. I just didn't foresee losing my option to boot to my main system. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

2. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i installed yosemite yesterday on a usb...took it out and couldn't boot either.

the only thing that came up was: yosemite installer and 10.9 recovery

what i did was start the 10.9 recovery and then when that loaded, went apple icon (menu bar), restart with MacintoshHD.

i was able to boot to mavericks after.

hope that helps

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I find it unbelievable that this still happens...

Check out this thread and see if it helps

4. tliede20 macrumors regular

tliede20

Had this problem!

All you have to do really is go into recovery partition (10.9 recovery), disk utility and choose your boot; make Mavericks or whichever partition you main and this SHOULD fix that problem!

5. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

Thank You. That worked like a charm. Lesson of the day: BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!

6. tliede20 macrumors regular

tliede20

Yes, do it now! :p I totally freaked because mine was on my work computer (bad idea for a main device) ... but thankfully while checking Disk Utility I could see my data remained untouched so I knew the partition was there just wasn't sure how to access it initially. :) Let me know if you are able to boot back and forth successfully now :)

7. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

Yes. Oddly enough it seems to have fixed the problem. Now when I boot from the startup disk screen I get the option to boot from "Crucial m500" which is my daily driver.