installed radeon 9200 now videos are jerky and audio doesn't match

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bbswartz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bbswartz macrumors newbie

Hi, I have been reading these forums for a while hoping to find similar issues. I have not seen this yet. I have a quicksilver G4, upgraded the hard drive to 120 Gig with the original 60 Gig as second drive. After I got the ATI 9200 video card I had to get a new monitor. I read on here some where that a an Envision 22" widescreen would work and it does.
    I started all this because of the last OS upgrade. You would think after all this it would be a great souped up G4! It's terrible!! Videos don't work everything is super slow, even the curser can't keep up with my excessively fast 30 words a minute typing. My mouse has found a hole he hides in for 10 to 15 minutes at a time and I have a freeze every time I turn the thing on. I am thinking maybe I need to get more Ram.
    :confused: 500 plus now, I think I can add 2 more of those 500 chips, cards whatever they are RAM Pc133-333 Does anybody out there know what this is all about? Please help, My husband is making me nuts with his incessant question of " why is this doing this?" You guys are my greatest hope for sanity.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With all the upgrades you have, the symptoms you are describing could be the result of any one of a number of issues.

You need to strip the machine down and check most of the major components. Try it with the old video card. If it behaves normally you'll know the new GPU is problematic. How much memory do you have? You should be running at least 512MB, preferably 1GB+. take out the memory DIMMs one by one to see if any of them are causing issues.

3. bbswartz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Lord Blackladder

I tried taking out the memory cards one at a time and restarting, not any change there. I can't put back the other video card unless I want to change my monitor back. But I remember starting all this because my friendly apple repair folks told me if I wanted to run Photo shop elements (which was a present from my husband) I had to upgrade the video card.
    In the about this computor it says I have 768 mb of S DRAM 2mbl3 cashe 867MHZ my OS is 10.5 my neighbor loaned it to me he had it and absolutley hated it.I don't think he registered it. I have noticed I cannot get OS upgrades to install, they go staight to trash.
    I called the 800 number for service on the ATI I was told to switch the slot, move it to another one. I did; still nothing differant.
    A few months back I picked up a G3 Imac for next to nothing, I stripped it down and the memory looked just like mine so I stuck that in my G4.

I also cloned and copied all the hard drive from the 60Gig to the new hard drive. It didn't change anything.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Might be the Power Supply not pushing out enough juice, since its an old unit.

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

hiya

try lowering the screen resolution. it is possible that there just isn't enough CPU power to keep everything running smoothly even if the GPU was improved.

At some point you really should realise that there isn't much point in investing on hardware for a G4.

6. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Where did you buy the Radeon from?

What was your old graphics card?

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you really wanted increased video performance, you should have bought an AGP card, instead of that PCI-based 9200, which was essentially a step BACKWARDS in terms of video bandwidth and rendering speeds..........

A Radeon 8500, 9000, or 9800 would have been a far better choice, they are all AGP cards with vastly superior performance to the stock card.

But you need to solve the freezing problem first........

The power supply has PLENTY of juice.....I have a Radeon 9800Pro in my QS, which requires an actual power supply connection to function, as well as a 1.6ghz cpu upgrade, and all of my pci slots are full with expansion cards, neveranottaproblemo :p But, the PSU may be failing...........

And BTW.....although 10.5 will run on your machine, it will be dogga*ss s l o w and boggy........lots of folks here have been there done that :eek:

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmm, it is beginning to sound more and more like a video card issue.

I have an older G4 tower (dual 533MHz), and I am running four hard disks, a DVD-RW, USB 2.0 and SATA cards, and a power-hungry GeForce 6800GT video card. The power supply handles this fine, so I think you should be OK (assuming your power supply isn't malfunctioning). I haven't tried running OS 10.5 yet - I've heard that 10.4 is a better fit for G4s.

If you still have your old monitor I recommend going back to your old monitor/video card setup and run all your usual applications for a little while - put stress on the machine. If it runs fine then chances are your new Radeon 9200 is bad and needs replacing.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I concur. I would get a Radeon 9000 AGP Mac card, which has the ADC port.
    Probably the cheapest but good enough performance and most easy to find card for your Mac.
    The Radeon 9800 is better and faster, but no ADC port, and probably a lot more expensive.

10. sparkie.firedog macrumors newbie

G4 Dual 450 graphics card missing

Hi,

When I try to open Final Cut HD, I get this prompt:

Configuration Error
    This software requires certain hardware or software which is missing.
    *AGP graphics card.

I have the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI with 128 MB VRam. G4 Dual 450 operating OS X 10.4.11 with 1GB Memory.
    I also re-ran the software installation but it didn't make any difference.

Would anyone know if I need to buy a new Graphics card, or work with the same one? If I need a new one, what type do I need and what kind of port am I looking for? If not, should I just open the tower and check it's connections?

I'm a hardware novice, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

11. bbswartz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody!

Yesterday I bit the bullet and took the poor thing in for service. Boy did I get an education. First I should have never upgraded to OS 10.5, second thing which I never thought about since it did not pose a problem which was noticeable, I cloned everything from my 60gig hard drive to the 160 gig thinking I would use the 60 gig as overflow or large video projects. Not a good idea, everything was corrupt. It worked but I could not download any upgrades because all the permissions? are generic and not recognized. The video card and monitor are good things and that had nothing to do with the problems. My processor just was not fast enough to do everything with OS5 that plus the cloning BTW I got that suggestion from a website that you pay for answers. I asked if I could move all my stuff from one hard drive to the other and was told to get the cloning software free download. Live and learn