Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric2076

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I installed some old ram i had which i think are almost exactly the same as what the mini requires. It's running sweet now with 512, it makes a huge difference. I heard warnings about kernel panics and stuff. So how do I test if this ram will be good for me? Thanks.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
To test if your system sees it just go to Applemenu>About this Mac.
If it says the new value then all good.

Unless you start getting a lot of kernel panics there is no reason to test the RAM further. (The hardware test disc that came with the Mini will have a RAM verification app in it). If it ain't breakin' don't investigate.

Enjoy a faster Mac experience!

If the RAM is not going to work the system will freeze and you will have KPs. If you really want to make sure your RAM is good then grab your mini diagnostic CD and run the RAM check, that will tell you if the RAM is healthly. Also check system profiler and make sure your RAM is the right spec for the mini.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There should be a hardware test CD that came with your mini but I'm not sure if it picks up on RAM and even so, it doesn't usually find anything wrong with anything. It's perhaps the worlds most optimistic CD...

Generally, if it's bad RAM, it'll kernel panic ASAP so you'd probably know about it by now. Although, that's not always the case.

eric2076

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
So, i had it running overnight downloading software updates. I woke up to find it at a restart screen. When i reboot, it says i had an unexpected error. Is this because of the ram?

eric2076

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
alright, so it may had to do with the download though...i hope. I've been using it for hours now and only had that one thing happen while I was away.

i've been told that if the ram was incompatable, i would receive instant errors. I mean, if it happens again, it's probably the ram, but right now I think it's ok...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Did you try rebooting again? I used the wrong RAM once in my old iMac 333 and it had very random KP's.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
James Philp said:
To test if your system sees it just go to Applemenu>About this Mac.
If it says the new value then all good.

Unless you start getting a lot of kernel panics there is no reason to test the RAM further. (The hardware test disc that came with the Mini will have a RAM verification app in it). If it ain't breakin' don't investigate.

Enjoy a faster Mac experience!
No, can't agree with that -- the About this Mac does not test the RAM at all, it just reads the capacity of the module(s).

If you are installing unknown RAM (as opposed to a new module from a vendor who guarantees compatibility) then run Apple Hardware Test.

Some RAM errors will only show up when you "exercise" all of the RAM on the module. You DON'T want to find this out by accidentally corrupting files as you are saving them...

Waiting for KPs to happen is like not tightening the nuts on your car wheels and waiting to see how many times the wheels fall off before you do something about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.