installed range extender, left wifi unprotected, someone used 75 gigs !

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by madeirabhoy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

what an idiot i am.

have a secured wifi network, but have had a range extender for a year or so, with constant problems. the last time, probably 3 weeks ago, i had to reset it, i didnt click on the password box (it defaults to no password).

didnt think anything of it. which is pretty stupid especially as i live above a cafe.

my internet has been slower last few days, my ISP throttles when you drop down ratings due to higher use.

it say I've used 75 gigs in 3 weeks. to be honest i might have used 30 gigs of that maximum.

don't think I've got much on my computer that they could have accessed and got benefit from, but is there any way to check what sort of info was going through the router?

could my ISP tell me?

even knowing if it was downloading or uploading would i guess tell me a lot.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I suggest you lock down your network and forget about the 75 gigs somebody "stole". Your ISP will not be able to tell you anything they did unless they did stuff over the internet. If they were browsing files in your house, you would have to look at logs on your own machines to figure that out, if such logs even exist.

Look at it this way. If you are a billionaire then the folks coming after you won't be hampered by encryption. If you are not, then the schmuck using your wifi was probably just downloading questionable material. Be sure to document this with your ISP in the unlikely event the stuff they downloaded over your connection triggers some sort of law enforcement investigation.

If you have a repeater that defaults to no password and wakes up after every power failure with no password then get rid of it and get one that is more secure.