Installed Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tonsko, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Hey all,

So I took the plunge, and have installed the hardware.

Booting from OSX install disk, have opened DU and formatted the drive using OSX journaled.

I went into System profiler to check it was correctly reporting etc. and under the 'Serial-ATA' submenu, it has all the info about the drive. It correctly reports it as Solid State etc - but under 'TRIM support' it says 'No'.

I thought SL supported TRIM? Is there some other task I have to do to make it support TRIM?

Cheers in advance.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Apple only supports TRIM natively on drives shipped by them.

Use TRIM Enabler or the corresponding Terminal commands to enable it for your 830.

3. Tonsko, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Aha! Thank you. I will have a google.

ETAA - yeh it worked. Thanks!

ETAAA - installed OSX, then was faced with getting evertying over. Sod that. CCC'd the lot :)

Job jobbed. Thanks for the help.

4. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Ok, next thing - have the SSD, TRIM, rebulit machine. MBP now does not sleep - is this something to do with enabling (or dis) 'write before sleep'?

5. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Cheers - I have sorted out TRIM, grabbed that yesterday. It's more the sleep thing. Any ideas? Left it shut all night, was fully charged and now is nearly empty.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

What do you mean by this? If you leave the lid open, then of course it won't go to sleep. But, if you close the lid, it will. If you're referring to the new feature (name escapes me right now - nap?) that allows backup when lid is closed, it only applies to rMBP and MBA - I think. The only way I keep my mbp "on" while the lid is closed is using this app called "InsomniaX". It works well, especially when I have to go somewhere quickly and hope that default had some sort of error. Only thing is that it gets warm after a while, the top lid and the keyboard.

7. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Hiya,

Cheers for reply. I mean that when I close the lid (since installing SSD) it doesn't sleep. It stays active - last night it was fully charge before I went to bed, closed lid, light (eventually went off) but opened it first thing this am to find no battery left.

Is there a hack that anyone knows about to make sleep work again?

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Which MBP do you have? I'm not sure why your MBP is doing that while the lid is closed. I lose charge as well overnight, but minimal.

The App I mentioned "InsomniaX" can force either a "sleep" or "on" when the lid is closed. Also you can customize if it's on battery power or AC.

Check here: InsomniaX

9. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

'Tis a mid 2010. Thanks, I will check out Insomniax - from your initial description I thought it could only force no sleep.

ETA - ah, it's 10.7 or later. I'm still running SL.

I have set hibernate to option 3 for now - will see how that goes. It has been pointed out to me that the speed of boot from being turned off more or less negates sleep anyway!

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Same model I have. I have a 17" mid-2010. Yeah, the App has several other options regarding the MBP's power supply.

11. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Turns out that clamshell mode doesn't work either.

12. Tonsko thread starter macrumors 6502

Tonsko

I've given up for now and put my old XT back into it. My VMs stopped working correctly too.

Would it be worth repairing disk permissions once the new drive is back in? Also the ol' reset firmware things - is that worth a go?