Installed Seagate Momentus 7200.3 in "13 Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dazloe, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hey guys, just wanting to know if anyone who has installed this drive in their "13 macbook pro has had any troubles regarding vibration? I did a search, but it only turned up noise issues, generally the drive is quite, but whenever I'm typing I can feel the drive spinning all the time! Also I can lightly touch the top of the screen (near where the iSight camera is) and still feel the vibrations, is this normal for this drive? Or is it common with 7200 RPM drives in a "13 laptop?

Thanks a bunch :)

Daz.

2. jedoyle macrumors newbie

I've got the Seagate 7200 in my 13" MBP and I do notice a little more noise than with a 5400. I think it might vibrate a little bit more, but not that much. Maybe you should check and make sure all the screws holding the drive in place are in and the drive is seated properly?

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't say that's normal. I've got that exact drive installed in my macbook pro and have not had any of those issues. It's much quieter with less vibration than the stock drive I had. I couldn't be happier.

Then again, I paid extra to have this drive installed by an apple certified service center. So far everyone who has complained about problems with this drive installed it themselves or had their techie friend do it.

4. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies guys :) As far as noise goes it's very quite so maybe one of the screws may be loose, causing it to vibrate? I might take it apart again tomorrow...ah bugger, I'm so nervous when I do these things! (ages away from apple techs...)

Thanks, Daz.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's vibrating, there's no way to isolate it or remove it. Either get use to the vibration or get a new HDD.