Installed SL, battery life problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have finally managed to buy a copy of Snow Leopard and install it this past weekend, but have been having battery problems on my MBP. The battery life seems to be half of what it was before at best. Could this be a problem with SL or is my battery just dying?

2. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

SL on my old unibody cut the battery life by about 45 min...

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I lost 2-3 hours of batterylife when installing SL. I am gonna go back to Leopard some day here.

4. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow really?! Does Apple know about this issue? I really love Snow Leopard, but I can't live with such a short battery life :(

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

No idea. I installed Leopard again today and my battery life seems to be back to normal...

6. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

Well I got a Macbook Pro recently with SL and no battery problems here.

Have you been calibrating your battery every 1-2 months?

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Do you get the 7-8 hours of battery life?

8. eyeamfrustrated macrumors newbie

Battery problems

I recently purchased a mac pro 15" I fully charged the battery when I turned it on, but now if I want to run by battery I am only getting a couple of hours worth. So I end up plugging it in. Any suggestions as to changes I can make would be appreciated,

I am new to the Mac World

9. MikeSantor macrumors regular

I did the SAME EXACT thing. I installed SL last weekend and my battery life (with all the same configurations) went from 6 hours to 2:45 hours.

I almost immediately put 10.5.8 back on because thats one of the top 3 reasons I use a mac. I love the long battery life.

Well I don't want to get in to the long story but I was basically forced into putting SL back on yesterday and when I did, my Battery life went back up to around 6 hours with the same conditions. Weird ehh?

10. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

That really is weird. Maybe the first time something didn't install correctly?

11. deafboy macrumors member

After I calibrated my battery i get 6+ hrs in SL as long as i don't use safari 64.

(Unibody Mid 2009 13'')

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I've reinstalled SL 3 times though, on 2 different drives even. Did clean install (got the $10 update disc) every time though, might be why?

13. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

The only time I used up the whole battery was to calibrate it so I don't know how long it would take if I used it normally, but it definitely took longer than 5+ hours.

14. jnev macrumors newbie

Almost immediately after install SL on my MBP my battery health went down to ~50% and SL started reporting that I need to replace my battery. Currently my battery health has gone down further to 36%. I took it to the Apple store and they said they couldn't do anything about it because I didn't have Apple Care.

15. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

From what I understand, there is no real difference between the $10 update disc and the other versions out there.

Well I think the thing with draining the battery might have some truth in it. With my old MacBook (late 07 I believe) I used it EVERY single day on battery until it was almost dead and until this day I can still get 4 hours out of it. Looks like I'll do a clean install of SL when I get the time, but right now I have so much work for my classes that that would not be a possibility.

16. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

How old is your MBP?