Installed SL....Kissed my MacBook Goodbye1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elliethebug, Oct 16, 2009.

1. elliethebug macrumors newbie

Help!
    I installed SL and none of my applications work anymore....from Office down they all crash and have to be forced to quit. The only thing I can do is serve the internet!?

I cleared the preferences, made sure, I didn't have guest enabled. Checked disk, run check and repair permissions, reinstalled SL...Nothing changed. This is what the Genius bar guy told me...
    I need a working computer and I am about to loose my cool!
    Pretty please, help me!
    E:eek::mad::(:confused:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried repairing permissions? Always worth a shot, some people swear by it....

3. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

I run a check and repaired even if the check said no errors.
    I am using a 5+ yrs old tablet/laptop that is on borrowed time as well...My six years old has been using it for the last couple of years...
    The geniuses didn't figure out what's up either, all I know is that I spent the last two weeks troubleshooting and trying to catch up on my school work...I am in graduate school with block schedule and I am killing over here!
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    E

4. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

Is your MacBook intel?

You can check by going to About this Mac.

Edit, also post your system specs please.

5. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

All MacBooks are Intel as far as I know.

6. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

Yeah I was thinking about that just was curious why everything is crashing.

7. CodeRaven macrumors member

Maybe he is running old PPC apps and did not install Rosetta? It is an optional install under Snow Leopard. Just a wild guess and I may be wrong.

8. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I know you have said you have done a re-install, but still I would do a complete wipe and clean install and then use time machine to get back everything you need.

Is your HD on the way out potentially? Any problems prior to Snow Leopard?

9. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook 2007

Hey guys!
    I have a mid 2007 MacBook While 2.1 GHz, 2 Gb of RAM (upgraded with Apple original bricks), 120 Gb HD. I had Leopard from last year's upgrade, the system as a whole will be 3 yrs old in Feb '10. The present one is the Jun 07 replacement for the one I bought in Feb 07 that failed at the end of May 07.
    Thanks,
    Elisa
    PS Software installed is nothing out of the ordinary: Itunes, MS Office 2008 trial ed.and, ilife, and PDF Pen.
    Thanks,
    Elisa

10. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

very interesting... assuming is it not a hardware and it is software problem. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you're applications are not running on Rosetta mode. You can check by going to an application and right clicking on it and click get info.

And also did you run disk utility from the disk? Restart, hold down the option key and click on the cd to run from the cd. Wait for a few moments as the cd will be loading. DON"T INSTALL. go to the menu and choose disk utility. and click repair disk.

Other than that I don't know.

11. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the 2 suggestions that are floating around...

I tried two suggestions that have been floating around with the following results:
    1) turn off file sharing and restarting-didn't change a thing...
    2) safe mode-I can't get safe mode to start!?!>?! I turned off. Waited a couple of minutes, pressed power and the held shift down as soon as I heard the note. Held shift down until the gray wheel started spinning on the gray screen.
    NOTHING!!!!
    I am so frustrated...
    Elisa

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yes but did you try the single most important suggestion given you... a clean install?

13. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Clean Install

Richard:
    I have not done that. I am terrified I will loose the back up copies of my son's pictures as a result of the issues. They are on TM and I would like to make sure they are safe...I want to make sure I do not end up restoring the errors I am trying to get rid off and end up causing more problems-such as loosing the pix.
    Thanks!
    Elisa

14. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i'd suggest that you stop right there, if the files are THAT important to you - Go buy another drive, swap it out on the macbook and perform a clean install then attach current one and restore your pictures.

if you have TM backup, just restore off the backup.

15. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

New Drive vs. new MBP

I thought about the new drive as a last resort...as soon as I realized this was not going to be an easy learning curve for Apple-yet this MB has 3.5 mos of Applecare left on it and I was waiting to see what was going to come out between now and then and just get a new MBP, even better have my not so secret dream come true: an Apple Tablet...I can't type to save my life....I had an Acer TM tablet and it never did deliver as Bill Gates had promised/bragged.
    I am even thinking about a Netbook to patch me thru these few months-I would love to turn it into a Hackintosh once the full size baby arrived.

I have been trying to start in SAFE MODE but this crancky baby will not even consider it...I lost pretty much all the originals of Luca's first 4 years when my ex husband stole my back up copies on CD's and DVD's and the Win PC where they had been from day one committed suicide...
    AND THAT WAS WHEN I MADE THE SWITCH-or more accurately, I switched back to Mac-since I learnt to use a computer on Mac machines...

Any ideas about the safe mode issue?
    Thanks for listening!
    Elisa

I do have a 1T TM that I have been using for regular back ups but I would like to make sure I do not transfer any corrupted files back to the fresh installed drive and end up where I started....

The concern about loosing the pix is probably irrational at this point-yet I can't make myself wipe the drive out and start over...

16. elliethebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Crazy As It Sounds...this Worked!!!!

Hey there!
    As crazy as it sounds-DO TRY the suggestion given earleir and diactivate the duplicate fonts. IT worked for me and I have to say that my desktop fonts went back to my usual settings as well. I had noticed the had changed after I upgraded but never thought much about it. Especially given the fact that I could not use my MB anyways...This is what I did: I disabled the duplicate fonts, Deleted the whole Fonts folder Microsoft had snuck in when installing Office, and got rid of the fonts that would not allow me to disable them.
    Crossed myu fingers and guess what?!!
    I tried to open and office file (a ppt presentation that would not open earlier) and it opened just fine. I suppose the rest of the applications will also work. For the time being, this is all I need and I am not going to mess with my good luck-nor spoil the feeling...
    GOOD LUCK!:)
    Elisa
    :D:p:rolleyes: