installed SL now quicktime wont play and no printer???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 31 YNOT, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 31 YNOT macrumors newbie

I installed snow leopard the other day and my quicktime doesnt work right and i cant print anything. When i try to run a .wmv file which would normally play on quicktime with using flip4mac it will no longer work, it just brings up a prompt box saying "quick time player must be installed to play file" which quick time is installed so wtf here?

alos when ever i try to print to my hp printer now it brings up an error msg saying that it needs to send the report to apple or what ever because something quit unexpected or what ever it says.

I have never had these problems before SL instal so what gives?

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

As I understand it:
    Flip4Mac and the MS codec for playing MS format in Quick time only works in 32bit mode. If you are running QT in 64 bit mode it will not work. Get info and change it to 32 bit mode or wait for an update from Microsoft.

Apps that don't work:
    http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Printer drivers are written by the printer manufacturer and Apple talk for older printers has gone the same way as PPC Macs.
    Apples supported list below.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

3. Keeval macrumors member

I had the same issue with WMV files and Quicktime - what you need to do is reassociate the file type with the new Quicktime player and it will all burst into life.

What is happening at the moment is due to the old file association Flip4Mac is attempting to open the old quicktime which is no longer there.

As for the HP issue - sorry can't help you there.

Edit to add: In response to the above post - The SL Quicktime Player will work fine.. if it needs to use a plug-in it will run the 32bit Quicktime QTKit in the background for you instead of the 64bit one.