Installed Snow Leopard, not that impressed.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tortex, Oct 10, 2009.

1. tortex macrumors member

Hello.

No doubt there will be a ton more threads about Snow Leopard. I waited a little bit to install it, but had some spare time today so did the deed.

So, iTunes wont start up. Lots of threads about it not closing, but it just wont open for me. Installed the latest version, tried updates, disk permission repairs etc - no joy.

Half my applications need Rosetta. OK, I know this isn't Apple's fault, but jeez, so many things wont run it's crazy. I thought the odd old piece of software wouldn't work, but no, a ton of it has issues.

It's sluggish. I've read about leaving it for a few hours so Spotlight can do it's thing, but I don't believe that. I have the fastest 24" iMac and it's running slow. Real slow.

I updated, not a clean install, but I see no real difference in disk usage. In fact I have less now than before, which is odd.

Boot time is slower than before.

So, guess I'll have to just wait for 10.6.1 to come out to fix these issues? I don't care about iTunes, I can use VLC. I do care that I can't update my iPhone, but I'll use alternative methods to do that. I know it's cheap, but it seems like a point upgrade, not a new OS.

Windows 7 though, wow, that's really nice (well, it has some nice features). Apart from it's crazy disk usage, it's really quite good. I reckon between the two, MS did the better release in terms of upping there game. Now they are only 5 years behind ;)

T.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10.6.1 is already out. I think clean install should solve your problems. I first did upgrade and everything was sluggish but then did a clean and everything is smooth now

3. tortex thread starter macrumors member

Was thinking about clean, but have no access to a backup drive for three weeks. :( I can put up with it till then.

4. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

I did an upgrade to my leopard and it felt well, the same. Didn't see any improvement. And the space used on my HDD was about the same. But I read Apple actually reduced the size of HDD space needed to install SL. So did a clean install and Voila! its all true. I am very happy with SL. I wonder if the 64bit architecture has anything to do with it.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ I, too, did an upgrade from Leopard. Other than my old Roxio Toast 6 and a couple small utilities, I had no issues whatsoever with Snowy. I'm very pleased - everything seems snappier (not a world of difference, mind you, but a minute improvement). I bought the family pack to use on our 4 Macs - so, at around $12.50 per Mac, I'm very pleased with the update (I've upgraded two of them already, my white iMac and white Macbook).

6. bov macrumors 6502

just upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard, so far everything is working like a charm. iTunes is opening, and Spotlight is working fine, overall system feels snappier :) Also, i gained around 20GBs, awesome!

Anything else i should test out?

7. Genesiscreative macrumors newbie

I think SL is more of a stepping stone for bigger things to come. Apple is laying the foundation for a much bigger build of the OS. I don't think it's meant to totally overwhelm...

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think people got too excited and took Apple's words, word by word. Apple introduced OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch and most people thought that it would play a big factor when upgrading which isn't exactly true. Everything Apple promise is there but we as users will only benefit when developers start programming to take advantage of those technologies.

Anybody know if Apple's core system/applications already take advantage or are we going to have to wait for a new revision of those apps?

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Upgrading your OS is tricky because Apple can't possibly plan for every single little third party thing you have installed over the course of having Leopard. You might still have legacy stuff going on that just isn't built for the new OS.

Try doing a clean install… I guarantee that Snow Leopard is much better and faster than Leopard… if it's not… then you're doing something wrong.

You can't blame Apple for bugs until you've done a clean install and still have the problem.

Other than that… you could be experiencing problems with the existing third party add-ons that you've acquired while in Leopard.

Always do a clean install with a new OS.