Installed Snow Leopard, now can't find printer driver - help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

Could use some help ASAP. Installed Snow Leopard, and now my printer doesn't come up on the list of print drivers. I'm using a HP Deskjet 3840 - when I tried to find the driver online, it said that it comes with Mac OSX. What do I do? How can I find this driver?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just found the the HP Deskjet 3840 on a list on HP's website of unsupported printers with Snow Leopard. What can I do to get around this? Any ideas?

2. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

I'm not sure how exactly as I have yet to do this (My printer has no drivers either. Deskjet F4180) Is to connect it to a Windows machine if you have one, and print share it. There's a tutorial somewhere on this forum. Right at the top. Or Google it.;)

Either that or think up some plan to get HP moving. I'd swear that an older printer still doesn't have any proper drivers for Vista.

3. stuarthatto macrumors regular

My M1120n doesn't have drivers that ship with Snow Leopard - so, on the off-chance I just installed the old OS X drivers from HP nd they worked perfectly.

Might be worth a try.

Stu

4. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

I should of had the old Drivers from Leopard though, as I did an upgrade install. I deleted them on the off chance that it was them not working, but it still doesn't work.

5. bryantm3 macrumors regular

I have a solution for you— I have an OfficeJet g85 and the specific driver will not work, however, if you use a slightly different driver that is included with snow leopard, your printer will work.

Open System Preferences
    Go To Print and Fax
    Click on the printer you need to use
    Click on options and supplies in the right pane
    Click on the driver tab
    In the scroll box, choose Select Printer Software
    A list will come up. Choose the model closest to yours; I would choose the HP DeskJet 3820.
    Click OK on the list
    Click OK to close the options
    Your printer ought to work now.