Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*Karen*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Hi all

I have a MacBook and just upgraded my OS couple of days ago from 10.4 to Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Well actually my husband did it for me (Im not great with the technical stuff lol) and tells me it wasn't a clean install but that Apple didn't state this was necessary.
Anyway everything seemed fine until I tried to access any of the online games I play from time to time on FaceBook. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the apps I'm talking about but basically you have 'neighbours' and can gift items back and forth, well all my neighbours in all games have disappeared and I have disappeared off their lists too. I found out that Adobe had vanished during the upgrade so I have now installed the latest version of that but although this enabled me to see one of the games I still don't exist on them!! The other games just wont even load - all very strange.

Why should a change of OS effect online games anyway? I'm hoping that someone can tell me what I should do about this.....I know that Facebook games aren't particularly crucial but it's frustrating me not knowing why this has happened.
:confused:

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Sorry, reading comprehension failed me.

Have you tried it on a different computer? Facebook has been glitchy as heck the last couple days.

*Karen*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Just tried logging in on a different Macbook, same thing happened but that also had SL installed, do you both mean one without?

**Re: reading comprehension....which bit didn't I explain clearly?
:)

* Disregard that, have since checked email update showing ur original answer about Adobe, so now I follow, lol.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you updating flash? Im not sure if it will help but I know most games on facebook use it.

*Karen*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Have you updating flash? Im not sure if it will help but I know most games on facebook use it.

Yes I've installed the latest version of Adobe. All that did was enable me to actually 'view' just one of the games I play, neighbours still all gone etc....all the other games still wont load...really puzzling because in theory the OS shouldn't effect it at all!

So I thought I'll do a search for some Mac experts on a forum somewhere and here I am, lol.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Are you sure it's not a problem with facebook or with the servers that host the games?

It could just be a co-incidence as facebook has been running crap lately.

direzze

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
If you say that your neighbours are gone (cafeworld, farmville, etc.) I don't think it has anything to do with SL. Zynga (the company that makes these games) might be having server problems or might have reset your account. Did you also check your application settings and make sure that the apps weren't deleted?

*Karen*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Update :)

It's fixed! I noticed a post by someone else saying they had been having trouble with one of the games and that Zynga had advised him to remove the application totally from FB settings and then go back into it and allow permissions all over again, having made sure he had an up to date flash player.
Light bulb moment, lol!
Figured it couldn't hurt so tried it out and it worked, all my neighbours back, everything!
I would have thought if you removed the app your levels/settings etc would go but obviously not.

So I suppose it could have been a coincidence, sorry lovely Snow Leopard if that's the case. :D

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.