Installed SSD on imac 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robster2644, Oct 6, 2012.

1. robster2644 macrumors newbie

I have just completed the installation of my SSD in to my Imac 21.5". It went swimmingly 45 mins to finish.

Now that its in how do I copy my complete hard drive over to it and my boot camp.

Also do you think i should turn on enable trim on the SSD?. I have herd that you don't need to.

Can anyone else give advice maybe on something I may have missed.

Robbie

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Your fans aren't running rampant? Or did you swap the optical drive for the ssd.

3. robster2644 thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed it under the superdrive. It all went well. I'm hoping for some advice on what i need to do next if anything. I also need to know whether or not o enable trim.

Robbie

----------

The fans running rampant, I thought if I put the SSD in the external ports I would not get fan speed change at all

4. robster2644 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Ive been running this for a day now and everything is still well.

I used ifixit to buy my parts and there guide to install the SSD. I work forward to install and worked back the way to put it all back together.

I then used Carbon Copy to transfer my Old HDD to my SSD which worked like a charm. I recommend it.

I then tried a number of different way to enable trim through Terminal, however they did not work. I ended up going for trim enabler App, this worked first time.

After running through some other bits and bobs I noticed that the SSD was on read only. I just went in to SSD, right clicked, Get info and changed the preferences. I also used disk utility to Verify and fix permissions.

All up and running, I think it only took about 45 mins for the installation and a further 45 to mess around and move it all over to my SSD.

I recommend it, from start up to working on the mac 10 seconds from the chime. its worth the change.