Installed SSD on imac 21.5"

robster2644

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
I have just completed the installation of my SSD in to my Imac 21.5". It went swimmingly 45 mins to finish.

Now that its in how do I copy my complete hard drive over to it and my boot camp.

Also do you think i should turn on enable trim on the SSD?. I have herd that you don't need to.

Can anyone else give advice maybe on something I may have missed.

Robbie

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Your fans aren't running rampant? Or did you swap the optical drive for the ssd.

robster2644

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
Your fans aren't running rampant? Or did you swap the optical drive for the ssd.
I installed it under the superdrive. It all went well. I'm hoping for some advice on what i need to do next if anything. I also need to know whether or not o enable trim.

Robbie

----------

I installed it under the superdrive. It all went well. I'm hoping for some advice on what i need to do next if anything. I also need to know whether or not o enable trim.

Robbie
The fans running rampant, I thought if I put the SSD in the external ports I would not get fan speed change at all

robster2644

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
OK, Ive been running this for a day now and everything is still well.

I used ifixit to buy my parts and there guide to install the SSD. I work forward to install and worked back the way to put it all back together.

I then used Carbon Copy to transfer my Old HDD to my SSD which worked like a charm. I recommend it.

I then tried a number of different way to enable trim through Terminal, however they did not work. I ended up going for trim enabler App, this worked first time.

After running through some other bits and bobs I noticed that the SSD was on read only. I just went in to SSD, right clicked, Get info and changed the preferences. I also used disk utility to Verify and fix permissions.

All up and running, I think it only took about 45 mins for the installation and a further 45 to mess around and move it all over to my SSD.

I recommend it, from start up to working on the mac 10 seconds from the chime. its worth the change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.