Installed SSD without caddy/ sled with pull tab- oops!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by myrtlebee, Nov 7, 2011.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Okay- I have never installed a hard drive myself in a MacBook and the instructions I found online mentioned nothing about the metal caddy with the pulltab. I have a pre-unibody white MacBook. Today was my first time- I switched from a HD to an SSD.

Once I removed the original HD with the pull tab, I guess I was so excited to get the job done, that I simply slipped in the SSD without thinking and never placed it in the metal caddy with the pull tab. Since I didn't have the screwdriver needed to do it and it seemed like a tight fit - I decided to test it by placing it in the slot. I simply pushed the SSD in until it connected to test the fit. Unfortunately there was still some room, so it appears that it was supposed to go in the metal caddy after all! The problem is- I have no way to get it out! Will it hurt if I simply leave the SSD as it is without it being in the caddy? Will it cause any problems being in there loose? What is the purpose of the caddy- simply for a better fit and the tab? Right now, everything seems to be working fine. This was definitely an idiotic thing to do, I know but any insight would be great. Thank you!

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Usually, the caddy serves 2 purposes:

1) To make it easy to remove the disk later. Disks fail (sad fact of life), so it's important to be able to replace them.

2) To secure the disk in place. If it seems like a tight fit without the caddy, it would have been even more snug with it. Now the disk has the entire space of the caddy to wiggle. It could wiggle out and disconnect, or it could wiggle until the connectors break (either at the motherboard or at the disk).

Personally, I'd try to get it out. Or take it to the Genius bar and see if they can get it out.
    You could also leave it as it is and hope for the best.

Good luck.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

4. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

****. Would it be okay to use a pair of needle-nose pliers and gently grasp it? That part of the drive is plastic after all. I really cannot get it to the Genius bar. Do you know what number screwdriver is needed for removing the caddy screws?

Thank you both for your responses!

5. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

***Problem Solved*** I wound up taking off the top case. The screws surrounding the RAM slots were a total pain in the ass! I also managed to use a flathead screwdriver to remove and replace the screws on the caddy. All is well. Thanks, guys- I will be more careful the next time I attempt something. The SSD is a welcomed change!