Installed updates for W8 - Boot camp driver update

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mtah, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mtah macrumors newbie

Hello.

I just downloaded and installed about 70 updates for Windows 8.0 and after doing this it tells me I need to download and install a driver update for bootcamp.

I downloaded the latest boot camp driver from apples website 5.0.5033 but when i unzip the file and try to run the setup(doing all of this while on boot camp, not in osx) it tells me the driver is not compatible with this windows version.

I have not upgraded to W8.1

rMBP 13" late 2013

Any ideas?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Your computer can only use the drivers that are downloaded with that computer's Boot Camp Assistant, not the other drivers available to download from Apple's support pages.

3. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

what are you wanting to upgrade? Apple hasn't released an update to Bootcamp assistant yet for Windows 8.1, are you missing a driver for something? You can download the drivers for Bootcamp like you did and just install the individual drivers you need from the folders.

----------

It's the same files.. http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1638

4. chrfr macrumors 603

5. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Yes it is there.. MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) or later that is the latest version of the Apple Bootcamp software.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The document you have linked is out of date and hasn't been updated to reflect the difference, so users would understandably confused. The document I linked http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634 is more current and clearly states that Boot Camp 5.0.5033 is not for the 2013 Retina MBPs.

7. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I always thought they were the same.. my apologies.