Installed Windows 7 using Parallels...now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PNGento, Feb 24, 2013.

1. PNGento macrumors member

I was able to install Win7 using Parallels. Do I need to do anything else in terms of Apple drivers, updates, etc. Or do I do any updates through Windows?

Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Install the Parallels drivers (there is an option for it).

Then install updates.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Said above me but just check for updates and install P. drivers.
    After that you are pretty much ready to use Win7.

4. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

Can you tell me where the option for installing the parallels drivers is? I have Parallels 8 for Desktop...and can find no such option.

And assuming I do find that option because you'll tell me where to find it (LOL)...then when you say "Then install updates.", do you mean Windows updates, or Parallels updates?

----------

Not understanding. Check for updates (in Windows, or Parallels)? And how do I install Parallels drivers?

I can find no option in Parallels, other than to check for updates (I am assuming this means of the program itself).

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

1) Install the Parallels tools (should be under Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Tools in the Parallels menu according to this article)

2) Install Windows updates from within Windows.

6. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Parallels should install Parallel Tools automatically. Click the Virtual Machine menu and if the selection at the bottom states Reinstall Parallels Tools the tools which include the drivers are already installed. If it states Install Parallels Tools install the tools which once complete will prompt you to reboot the VM. Once done you should be good to go.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It may also take a few iterations for Windows to complete all its updates.

8. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

Ok...found it. Thanks.

----------

You were right...it said "reinstall"...so I'll hold off for now and see how everything behaves. Thanks.

----------

Boy...you said it...whew! The one thing that so far is most amazing, is how much better windows seems to behave under Mac than it ever did for me...when it was JUST windows. Love my rMBP.