Installed XP.. Now where are the drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by esadb, Dec 2, 2011.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Got a macbook 6.1 running LION. I managed to use a Win 7 disk to setup the partition but then booted with a Windows Xp disk and installed that.

Now what exact drivers do I need to install from Bootcamp to have XP running?
    I tried running BCUpdate2.1 and it does nothing when I double click it within windows..

Am I missing something?

2. knootforsale macrumors newbie

i think you can use your mac driver for the mac drive disc

3. zoezoezoe macrumors member

I have a similar issue. I needed to fun XP, so I partitioned using Disk Utility and installed XP. However, I can't get the drivers installed. I also can't get the internet to work on windows, I assume that is because of the lack of drivers, it's not detecting my wifi card or something.

Any help?

4. jeffsu macrumors newbie

I'm in the same shoes here... recently sold my mid-2007 MBP with my Snow Leopard discs (wish I had thought to make a backup of them). Bought a Feb 2011 MacBook Pro that came with Lion on it.

Used Disk Util to create my partition, and now have XP Professional SP3 installed, worked flawlessly. But of course the issue is DRIVERS.

I did some research (see "googled") and found this website:
    http://telastipes.blogspot.com/2011/12/yes-virginia-you-can-dual-boot-xp-and.html
    It had great commentary and I thought I was set. It links to download the drivers (which should be standalone according to the service site): http://support.apple.com/kb/dl830

I've downloaded these drivers, copied them to a USB stick and then flipped into Windows, copied it onto my XP Desktop and double-clicked. NOTHING HAPPENED.

I can't figure it out. It's called "BCUpdate.exe" and nothing happens.

As mentioned, I don't have access to the SL discs...

Thoughts?

5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The BCUpdate may check what operating system it is running on and just exit when it see something it does not expect.

Find somebody maybe with the SL discs or go into the apple store and ask is the recommended approach probably.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

7. jeffsu macrumors newbie

I presume you're being sarcastic as that has nothing to do with solving the problem...

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Boot Camp in Lion only have the drivers for Windows 7.
    You need to get the drivers from SnowLeopard or Leopard.
    Snow Leopard reference:

Step 4: Install the Boot Camp Drivers for Windows After installing Windows, install Mac-specific drivers and other software for
    Windows using your Mac OS X installation disc.
    The Mac OS X disc installs drivers to support Mac components, including AirPort, built-in iSight camera, the Apple Remote, the trackpad on a portable Mac, and the function keys on an Apple keyboard.
    The Mac OS X disc also installs the Boot Camp control panel for Windows and the Apple Boot Camp system tray item.
    To install the Boot Camp drivers:
    1 Eject the Windows installation disc.
    2 Insert the Mac OS X disc.
    If the installer doesn’t start automatically, browse the disc using Windows Explorer and double-click the setup.exe file in the Boot Camp directory.
    3 Follow the onscreen instructions.
    If a message appears that says the software you’re installing has not passed Windows
    Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.
    Windows that appear only briefly during the installation don’t require your input.
    If nothing appears to be happening, there may be a hidden window that you must respond to. Check the taskbar and look behind open windows.
    Important: Do not click the Cancel button in any of the installer dialogs.
    4 After your computer restarts, follow the instructions in the Found New Hardware
    Wizard to update your software drivers (Windows XP only).
    5 Follow the instructions for any other wizards that appear.
    6 Check for updated Boot Camp drivers by using Apple Software Update or going to www.apple.com/support/bootcamp.
    If You Have Problems Installing the Device Drivers
    If it appears that the Boot Camp drivers weren’t successfully installed, try repairing them.
    To repair Boot Camp drivers:
    1 Start up your computer in Windows.
    2 Insert your Mac OS X installation disc.
    3 If the installer doesn’t start automatically, browse the disc using Windows Explorer and double-click the setup.exe file in the Boot Camp directory.
    4 Click Repair and follow the onscreen instructions.
    If a message appears that says the software you’re installing has not passed Windows
    Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.
    If you need to reinstall specific drivers, you can install one driver at a time. For example, if your built-in iSight camera isn’t working, you can reinstall just the iSight driver.
    Individual drivers are in the Drivers folder on the Mac OS X installation disc.
    To reinstall a specific driver:
    1 Insert your Mac OS X installation disc.
    2 Quit AutoRun if it opens.
    3 Using Windows Explorer, locate the driver that you want to reinstall.
    4 Open the driver to start the installation.

----------

Is it the 64bit version of XP ?
    If you are aiming for the 32bit version you will onły be using 4GB of RAM.
    Sometimes it might be better to use a virtual machine instead of Boot Camp.
    VirtualBox.org is free.

9. jeffsu macrumors newbie

I appreciate your response, but my problem, as noted above, is that I do not have a Snow Leopard install disc. I just received my new MBP from Apple, a Feb 2011 model. It came with Lion installed and NO install discs. So I don't have them. So I need to determine which ones to download from Apple's website. I've downloaded the 2.1 boot camp file, but it does nothing when I double click it in Windows.

10. McGiord, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

11. jeffsu macrumors newbie

1) Have no access to a disc, I realize that would work, but is not currently an option.
    2) Apple says that XP is not supported with Lion
    3) See #2
    4) Need dual-boot, not virtualization

So the question still goes unanswered... if anyone has run across this or has a solution, please let me know.

12. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The people in the genius bar "do" have access to the disc people are looking for.

If people going in there and "nicely" explaining what they need ... well apple is famous for customer service right? Probably will get the explanation of "well we cannot support this configuration but here is the disc good luck ..." ( and yeah you have to give the disc back after doing the install ).

13. jeffsu macrumors newbie

Thats a good thought. Again (man, I just keep having issues with all the "right" solutions!) is that the nearest Apple store is about 3 hours. Go figure! Thanks for the idea, though.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I can't have my commodore 64 run Atari software, where can I get the drivers?
    By the way I don't want to pay, move away from my place, nor do anything.
    They are in cartridges and my tape reader doesn't want to read them.