Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2012
When you download the installer for High Sierra from the App Store, is it a 'generic' version or is it machine-specific at all ? Reason for checking is I have downloaded it and want to know if others (in the office) can use it to update their machines. Our internet speed is slooooooow and definitely don't need multiple downloads of the same file if for no other reason than saving time.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It has always been generic. I download it once and drag it to all of my machines to install. That is not to say that it might not change someday.

A.

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
When you download the installer for High Sierra from the App Store, is it a 'generic' version or is it machine-specific at all ? Reason for checking is I have downloaded it and want to know if others (in the office) can use it to update their machines. Our internet speed is slooooooow and definitely don't need multiple downloads of the same file if for no other reason than saving time.
It's universal. Save a copy to an external drive before installing, as the installer deletes itself when complete.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Already saved it before I installed it so I'm good there ;)

Reason I asked if it was machine-specific was that, if I'm not mistaken, it seems that 'updates' are (or can be). People frequently report different sizes for the updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.