Installer Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nicolemarie9109, Sep 17, 2009.

1. nicolemarie9109 macrumors newbie

I have a mac OSX running on version 10.4.11
    I did a software update two days ago
    I am trying to install adobe digital editions (a .pkg file)
    as well as Microsoft office: mac 2008 home and student edition (with disk)
    and the software will download but not install.
    It comes up with "There is no default application specified to open the document "digitaleditions_x86.pkg"." and it does the same thing for microsoft office
    The installer works with .dmg files but that is the full extent of it's functioning

I called customer support and it was no help. He ended up googling my problem while we were on the phone. :mad:

I am a college student and really need these apps. so I can do my papers and read my assignments, but I don't have the money to do the $50 troubleshooting thing.

Help??:confused:

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

What model Mac are you using?

.pkg files are self-contained installer files. You should just double-click on them and they do their thing. If you right-click on them they should show the package contents.

You could try this: drag the .pkg file to your desktop, right-click on it and select 'info'. Find the option 'open with ...' and you should be able to select 'Installer (standard)' for it.

3. nicolemarie9109 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already done that. It won't open. It's already on my desktop. I've gone through its contents at least six times. It won't even work with a disk installer.

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.