Installer program, disk utility, others, not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jportlander, Jun 5, 2010.

1. jportlander macrumors newbie

First off, I am trying to install a game that i bought on a whim for $10 and stumbled into many problems on my powerbook g4, 10.4.11. I mainly use this computer for Quickbooks data entry and for Internet, so for a couple of years that is all it has had to perform. Basically the application i'm trying to install is on a disk, and when i click on the .pkg file the screen blinks like it's trying to open the file, but never does. I've also tried dragging the file to my desktop.
    I've been searching this forum to find a solution. The best i can come up with has something to do with 1)disk utility, 2)software update, 3) Repair something, blah, blah. My disk utility file won't open. Software update unable to open. Tried re-booting with the install discs that came with the computer and ran the repair program, and it said it had found no problems.
    If there is any solution to getting the program installed, i would greatly appreciate the help, and it anyone has any ideas why my computer is acting like this that would be nice, too!
    Thanks in advance

Also, i only can find 2 of my install disks, is there more i might want to search for?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are only two installation / restore CD/DVDs coming with a Mac, at least my Macs (sine Mac OS X 10.3) only had two.

Have you made sure, that the game is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and your PowerBook, which uses the PPC architecture)? Maybe it needs an Intel chip (x86 architecture).

3. jportlander thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is what it says on the game's website:
    Mac OS X v10.2 or later.
    Processor: 500 MHz.
    Available Hard Drive: 1.25 GB.
    Video Card: 16 MB VRAM 3D
    accelerated.
    I'm not sure if it works with PPC, not sure what that means. But i have read user forums of people with similar systems running this game successfully. it's an old game, F/A-18 Hornet, that might be the problem but i did some tests and my installer isn't working on anything.
    Thanks for helping

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That game works with your Mac, but maybe your OS is too advanced. Can you right click on the .pkg file and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS and maybe find an executable in there to drag to your HDD?

If you're not sure what you see there, make a screenshot (or several, if there are many files) and post them here.

5. jportlander thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is

Attached Files:

6. jportlander thread starter macrumors newbie

crap i do have to get going to work now. thanks for your help and i'll check back later!

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could copy the Archive.pax.gz file to your Desktop and extract that. The file / folder that will be extracted might have to get extracted again, but that I don't know.

Does the developer of that game still offer some kind of support, or the distributor you bought it from?

8. jportlander thread starter macrumors newbie

okay i copied to desktop, how do i extract a file?

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Double-click it.

10. jportlander thread starter macrumors newbie