Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
So all this hype about Installer blowing Cydia away... how about it. I realize it's in beta, but I think that Cydia is MILES ahead of Installer. I mean, installer has bigger icons... that's about it. And it resprings every time you close. Is there anything that good about it that Cydia doesn't do? Or is it just preference?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Installer's still in beta, and although Cydia comes from much more mature roots (APT), they're both still very much in development. Just a month or two ago, under 1.1.x, Cydia was generally a disaster and Installer was pretty flawless. Cydia beat Installer out of the gate with 2.0, but who knows? Give them both time. We're not at a stable jailbreak installation mechanism just yet.

(FWIW, I installed Installer and not Cydia purely because there were limited reports in 2.0.1 of major iPhone slowdowns if Cydia was installed and the iPhone was restored from backup, but I haven't really installed jailbreaked apps in this round, and there isn't too much in Installer repositories right now).

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Installer is too slow. I realize it's still beta, but they have a long way to go before they get to the stability and ease of use that I get from Cydia.
Just my opinion.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Everything about the new Installer.app is so wrong. The ridiculously huge icons, the horrible layout. The bad organization of installed things in a category under packages? C'mon. The old installer was great, and I agree it was better than Cydia per-2.0. But now that Cydia has established itself and proven itself as an awesome alternative, it'd take a miracle to make me use installer again. Cydia is just way better.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I couldn't restore from backup... I had to just redo everything. Slightly... well more than slightly... anoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.