Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all. Hope you can help.

So I've just downloaded M$ Edge and instead of a drop and drag executable it comes in the form of a pkg installer. Now I have Pacifist and can easily extract the app but I'm just curious, whey do devs suply them like this?

What advantage is there to the dev or I to use an installer over just double clicking and running an executable?

Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The installer can place support files where they are needed, such as in Library folders. If none of that is required, then the developer usually just ships the app as stand alone.

By the way, don't use Pacifist to extract the app. Run the installer.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
The installer can place support files where they are needed, such as in Library folders. If none of that is required, then the developer usually just ships the app as stand alone.

By the way, don't use Pacifist to extract the app. Run the installer.
Ok, just wondering. An installer seemed like overkill.

Thanks.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that they used an installer because they want to set up a launchd job that will periodically check for and download updates to Edge. IIRC Dropbox and some Adobe and Google apps do this. Look in ~/Library/LaunchAgents, or, if installation asks for an Admin password, look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons.

This also means that just deleting the app from /Applications doesn't clean up everything, and you should run the app's own uninstaller. (Although there's typically no big harm in leaving the launchd job's plist behind, as the executable it points to is usually in the .app package, I believe.)

Reactions: chrfr

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Specific to Microsoft Edge, the Microsoft Autoupdater gets installed from the same package.

Reactions: Brian33

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that they used an installer because they want to set up a launchd job that will periodically check for and download updates to Edge. IIRC Dropbox and some Adobe and Google apps do this. Look in ~/Library/LaunchAgents, or, if installation asks for an Admin password, look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons.
Makes sense. In fact it uses exactly the same application, (Microsoft Autoupdate), as the M$ Office package does - and yes, there are plists in both System folder locations.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.