Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I have a quick question. I'm currently running a GTX 980, and would like to install 10.10.2. Can I use the nv_disable=1 boot arg to get into an non accelerated desktop so that I can install the current nVidia web driver?

I'd like to be able to install it without switching GPU out of my case if possible. Anyone know if this would work?

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I have a quick question. I'm currently running a GTX 980, and would like to install 10.10.2. Can I use the nv_disable=1 boot arg to get into an non accelerated desktop so that I can install the current nVidia web driver?

I'd like to be able to install it without switching GPU out of my case if possible. Anyone know if this would work?

that's only for efi cards.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
https://www.charlessoft.com

Pacifist allows you to manually install programs. In this case it gets around the version check which prevents installing 10.10.2 web drivers while still on 10.10.1.

You could also remove your SSD and boot of another mac using a USB 3.0 adapter and install the 10.10.2 update that way then with pacifist installing the web drivers.

Pacifist doesn't always install the apps perfectly. Like sometimes you need to use the actual apple installer. However if you already have the web drivers installed then updating them with Pacifist will work fine.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Or you can edit the Nvidia driver to pass system checks:

1) Copy the Driver WebDriverxxxx.pkg to 'Downloads'.

2) Start Terminal

3) Terminal: cd downloads

4) Terminal: pkgutil --expand WebDriverXXXXXX.pkg expanded.pkg

5) Right mouse click expanded.pkg and choose “Show Package Contents”, right click “Distribution” file and choose 'Open with TextEdit' or 'Open with TextWrangler'. Then modify the InstallationCheck() method to return always true:

Code:
function InstallationCheck()
{
//if (!validateHardware()) return false;
//if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
}

6) Save the “Distribution” file.

7) Terminal: pkgutil --flatten expanded.pkg flattened.pkg

8) Double mouse click flattened.pkg and install Nvidia web driver.

Last edited:

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Well, I used pacifist and installed it but it just said the driver was incompatible with my os x version and that it switched back to the os x default driver. Then after 10.10.2 install, nothing but black screen. So looks like I will have to switch graphics cards. Wish there was a good way to update without that hassle

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
The 10.10.2 install might have a few different setup screens. So try keeping the PC on for a bit and see if its actually installing w/o video output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.