Installing 10.4 Tiger on a New Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CRAZYBUBBA, Jun 21, 2009.

1. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

For my work I'll need the functionality of Tiger on my mac. i was wondering if it would be possible for me to buy a Snow leopard mac at the next refresh and downgrade it without reprecussions? I'm specifically thinking about the difference in graphics cards.

2. pjmburg macrumors newbie

I don't know about hardware problems, but AFAIK no retail copies of Tiger for Intel processors exist, and I don't think a restore disk from a different machine will work either.

3. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Yeah, Apple typically don't allow new Macs to run older versions of OS X. So if you absolutely need to run Tiger, you will need a mac that ran Tiger when it was released, along with the original install discs if it's been upgraded since.

Out of interest, what is the 'functionality' that you need Tiger for that you think or know Leopard/Snow Leopard can't do?

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I'd take a look at the OSx86 project. I am sure these tactics work on real macs as well.

5. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

Unfortunately you won't be able to, because 10.4 didn't have any of the drivers that your new MacBook Pro has, and copying and pasting won't work, since the drivers are made for Leopard/Snow Leopard and not Tiger.

As somebody already mentioned, you'll have to get a Mac that shipped with Tiger to run it.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah, maybe someone can tweak the 9400m to work in tiger. Everything else like chipset and wireless would be pretty easy to port over.

7. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

It's just too much work most likely, since the user base for Tiger is only going to shrink more and more.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

One thing to consider is that you can run OSX under Parallels. You might be able to run Tiger that way, as I assume that it is one piece of software that you MUST use for work that is making you want to downgrade to Tiger.
    You really should just pick up a used machine that ran Tiger; save a few hundred bucks and spare the headaches.

But I am still curious, why do you need Tiger?