Installing 10.5.0 on theoretical new "Penryn" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Feb 23, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I was just wondering, when/if the new Penryn MBPs come out, which I'm intending on getting, there should be no problem with installing 10.5.0 on it should there, as opposed to the 10.5.1/.2 that it will come preinstalled with?

The reason I ask is because I use a program that is very unstable in 10.5.2, but is fine in 10.5.0 (Apple Mainstage).

Thanks for any advice.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Actually, this very well could be a problem. You should not install a version of OSX on a Mac that is earlier than the one that comes with it.

The reason is, the builds that come with the machines are specific to those machines; they contain drivers and other code written specifically for the machine that came in the box.

If you install a retail copy of Leopard on a Mac that comes with 10.5.2, you will be missing drivers and other stuff.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, this would mean I can't use it then! :s Maybe I could get the missing drivers on the Apple website?

Will the included DVD be of the most recent build, rather than 10.5.0 (and then asking you to upgrade it after you've installed it)?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't get the platform drivers from Apple's website: they don't offer them for download. You might be able to get them off the restore DVD, but then you'd be on a strange unsupported configuration.

The restore DVD provided with any new machine introduced today (or later) will be at least 10.5.2. If 10.5.3 is released before the new machine then it'd be 10.5.3 and so on.

Often the restore DVD provided contains a custom build of the current revision shipping (so has a different build number to the standard one) due to the addition of platform drivers for the new machine.

5. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

You are definitely going to want to stick with 10.5.2, which should come installed and on DVD with the new Penryn systems.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The disc you get will not necessarily be the most recent build. I just bought a new Macbook two days ago, which came with 10.5.0 on the disc (don't know what was actually on the computer; I reimaged as soon as I got it out of the box).

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's because that machine was introduced before 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 came out. Any new machine introduced now will ship with 10.5.2.

8. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, same here, my current 2.2 MBP just came with 10.5.0. But, I guess a brand new machine will have an updated DVD from the start.

Hmm, this is bad news for me :( I use Mainstage live for my work, and under 10.5.2 it's totally unusable. So, unless Apple update it soon, I'm stuffed with getting a Penryn as was the idea...

9. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That doesn't actually matter. Machines are periodically updated with new CDs (either via a drop-in, or with a replacement). For example, in 2006, many Intel machines that originally shipped with 10.4.4 had their restore DVDs replaced with the next retail replacement (I believe it was 10.4.6).

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst that is true a brand-new machine (by that I mean either a whole new product line, or a newly updated version of a product line) never starts shipping with an old version of the OS.