Installing 10.5 on PPC ripping my hair out

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yettimillan, Jan 10, 2012.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi,

I recently bought an installation disk off eBay.

I have tried and tried to install on my PowerBook G4 but nothing works. I have been on loads of guides and formatted the hard drive etc.
    But nothing works.
    It just says Mac os x cannot be installed on this computer..

If I put the disk into a newer mac the read me file says it works for Intel and PPC macs. And the disk doesn't appear to be any specific mac as it just says something like Mac installation disk on the front.

I just don't know what to do, can anyone help??

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

What is the color of the disk? is it grey or black (retail). If it is grey, it can only be installed on a machine specified on the disk.

3. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

It is grey but says specifically on there for mac computers.

So would that not be generic?

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

grey discs are not generic, they can only be used with the machines they came with it. they are called restore discs for some reason.

get the black discs which are called retail, grey discs as i said are machine specific. it does not mean that it says mac will be good for your powerbook.

long story short, that disc is not compatible with your powerbook.

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

There is probably a model such as "iMac" or "PowerBook"...etc on the disc, correct?

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Someone sold you a restore disk for another machine. The installer is doing a validation check and your machine's model number does not match what the restore disk was designed to install on. As others said, you will need to purchase a black "retail" disk either from Apple or someone that has one left over. I am not sure if Apple still has them or not, but I think MSRP is $129USD if you get it from Apple.

7. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

8. mike457 macrumors 6502

None that I know of. If you had access to the appropriate model for the grey disk, you could install to your machine using firewire mode, but without the appropriate model, the disk is useless.

9. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

That would not even work as the grey OS X Leopard disc's are intel only and won't work on any PowerPc mac even if you would use FireWire Target Disc mode. You need the black retail Leopard install disc.:)

10. California macrumors 68040

California

The workaround is to get your money back from eBay. I cannot imagine a normal seller on eBay would misrepresent this disc to you in such an idiotic manner. Ebay will help.

11. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

If the seller actually misrepresented what was sold and you made a compelling argument they might help you out. EBay won't step in to protect you from not knowing what you are buying. If the seller put up a picture of the disc that is really all that should be needed. Caveat emptor